PDA

View Full Version : USA help if possible.

HarrysMum
10-03-11, 19:30
I wonder if anyone has access to any USA records from about 1910 onwards.

I'm looking for Timothy Coffey (middle initial may be 'T') who goes to the US with his nephew/s John or/and Michael O'Sullivan.

All were from Kerry Ire.

John and Michael's parents were Daniel O'Sullivan and Margaret Coffey. They died before 1906.

Another son. Daniel Joseph O'Sullivan born 25th March 1891/2 went to live with a grandparent at age 14 after his parents died. He then came to Australia about 1911.

John and Michael would have been born somewhere around 1880ish

Sorry....that's about all I have.

Kit
11-03-11, 11:33
Libby I'm off to bed now but will see what ancestry has on offer tomorrow afternoon.

kiterunner
11-03-11, 12:13
When was Timothy born, Libby?

Durham Lady
11-03-11, 13:36
Libby, could this be Timothy, on the Naturalization Records? without an age it's dificult to say which one of a long list of immigrants your man might be.

Name: Timothy Coffey
Birth Date: 15 Aug 1886
Birth Location: Co Kerry, Ireland
Spouse: Unmarried
State: Massachusetts
Locality, Court: District of Masssachusetts, U.S. Circuit and District Courts

There's

HarrysMum
11-03-11, 18:54
Thanks Kit

Kite...I really don't know, except he was the uncle of children born around 1886-1892.

Daphne.............it could be. Timothy's sister was Johanna, who married Daniel O'Sullivan and had the children in the above years.

Of course Timothy could be about the same age as his nephews, and maybe that is why he went with them.

Family lore says he never married.

kiterunner
11-03-11, 18:55
There are just too many Timothy Coffeys who went to America to choose from without a year of birth, sorry.

Kit
12-03-11, 08:34
Libby did the whole family go to the USA or just the nephew/s and Timothy?

I wondering if it is possible to find Timothy with the entire family. I've tried Michael O'Sullivan's but there are a lot of them from Ireland.

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 08:36
No the O'Sullivan parents were dead and another brother Daniel came to Australia.

Kit
12-03-11, 08:43
Thanks Julie.

Libby I'm not sure this is doable without more info.

Have you tried googling, or newspapers? Even Aussie newspapers. Daniel may have put something in about his family or they may have been mentioned when he died.

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 08:52
I have heard the story Toni and the only thing extra that I remember is that Daniel's parents died when he was about 14 and he went to live with his grandmother at Killorglin in Kerry. Unfortunately they didn't know if she was an O'Sullivan or a Coffey. A big brick wall.

HarrysMum
12-03-11, 09:16
And.....................Timothy Coffey (who went to USA) died around 1920 to 1930 and left some money to Dan O'Sullivan who was in Australia.`

Sorry folks....that's the entire story.

Kit
13-03-11, 04:44
I tried looking at deaths for Timothy but there aren't any records for a single man that died in the right time frame-ish.

Do we know Timothy's parents names?

HarrysMum
13-03-11, 05:53
No sorry Toni....

Thanks anyway.

Kit
14-03-11, 07:24
Sorry I can't help Libby.

Macbev
14-03-11, 14:03
Libby , have you tried trawling the Elllis Island records via Familysearch? You can look at the images of the passenger manifests there. You will have to register with the Ellis Island site, but it is free. I found my great grandma emigrating with her last son from Kerry in 1904 that way.

HarrysMum
14-03-11, 19:42
Thanks Bev......no I haven't tried that.

Macbev
15-03-11, 02:50
Just do a search on the Familysearch site in the usual way but refine it by clicking on 'event type' in the tool bar in the next screen and choose 'emigration'. When the possible results come up, you can look at the image from Ellis Island by clicking on the icon on the far right. You can use the 'enlarge' function to read the image and 'print screen' button on your computer if you want to copy the image .

I had a quick look for you, but as others have said, there are too many O'Sullivans and Coffeys to choose from on the limited knowledge available.

Ammanda Schutz
15-03-11, 02:56
I found these on the Ellis Island site. They are all from County Kerry, different towns, and there is no John but how about a Morty? Surprisingly there are very few Timothy Coffeys so my choice was limited.

First Name: Michael
Last Name: O'Sullivan
Ethnicity: Ireland, Irish
Last Place of Residence: Kenmare
Date of Arrival: Apr 29, 1903
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Oceanic
Port of Departure: Queenstown
Manifest Line Number: 0004

First Name: Timothy
Last Name: Coffey
Ethnicity: Ireland, Irish
Last Place of Residence: Castleland
Age at Arrival: 26y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Manifest Line Number: 0022

First Name: Morty
Last Name: O'Sullivan
Ethnicity: Gr. Br., Irish
Last Place of Residence: Castletown
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Manifest Line Number: 0028

HarrysMum
15-03-11, 03:58
Thanks Ammanda ( and Bev)

They look promising actually.

Do you know how I could track Timothy in USA and see if he dies about 1920-1930 (still single)???

Macbev
15-03-11, 07:30
1910 US Federal Census Massachusetts;Co.Middlesex:Cambridge City: Ward 9;Dist:0778
79 Boylaton? RD: Coffey, Timothy, lodger, male, white,30 yrs,single,Irish,emig.1903;naturalised;labourer;st reet rlwy?;

Immediately under his name are a Michael and John, similar details. Their name begins with S but I can't make it say Sullivan without a big stretch of imagination. Michael is 30, emig 1907 and is an alien, and John is 35, emig 1903 and is naturalised.
I've saved the image if you want to see it but you'll need to PM your email addie.
Off to look for more

tenterfieldjulie
15-03-11, 07:36
Bev could it have said O'Sullivan?

Macbev
15-03-11, 07:47
There is this one on the Boston Passenger lists April 1908 'Saxonia'
Coffey, Timothy;27 yrs;male;single;cement ?; Irish;last permanent residence USA, Rosebury (does this mean he was returning from a trip back to Ireland?);nearest relative: mother, Johanna Coffey, Killarigan, Co. Kerry;final destination: Mass. Rosebury

tenterfieldjulie
15-03-11, 07:48
Bev was that an original doc or typed? Could it be Killorglin. (pronounced Killorgin)

Macbev
15-03-11, 07:53
OK....probably not your chap then, if he was unmarried. US Naturalisation Indexes:Mass 1923
Coffey, Timothy John; 26 Whiting St Roxbury;born 18th May 1880 Killorghan, Kerry, Ireland;cement finisher;wife's name -Margaret;date of admission 15 June 1923

Sorry :( Red herring, I guess

Macbev
15-03-11, 07:54
Bev was that an original doc or typed? Could it be Killorglin. (pronounced Killorgin)

Original image, Julie....but that is nothing. The number of ways I have found Drummanaught in original documents is amazing :)

HarrysMum
15-03-11, 07:59
JUlie.....................do we know for sure Timothy never married???

I suppose if Dan got money after he died???

tenterfieldjulie
15-03-11, 08:01
Yes I don't think he would have been leaving money to distant relies if he had married Lib.

Macbev
15-03-11, 08:13
Bev could it have said O'Sullivan?

I can't really tell, Julie...I am saving most of these images as I find them and can send them on to you or Libby if you PM your email addy.

Kit
16-03-11, 05:13
Yes I don't think he would have been leaving money to distant relies if he had married Lib.

If he had no children he might have. Didn't he leave it to his nephew?