PDA

View Full Version : Lukaz Polemiak

Beduffbloke
07-03-11, 08:56
hi guys can anybody help me find more infomation about Lukaz Polemiak, born feb 1910, ukraine?? married Florence Palmer in October 1965 and died in 1990 in Coventry. thats all i know??? Help please!!!

kiterunner
07-03-11, 09:02
Do you have a copy of his marriage certificate? If not then that would be the place to start because it should tell you his father's name and occupation.

kiterunner
07-03-11, 09:04
Death index gives his date of birth as 19 Feb 1910.

garstonite
07-03-11, 09:36
My Father in law was Ukranian....he came here as a POW....Ukraine was invaded by Russia pre WW2 and when WW2 was declared the Ukraines fought with the German army against the Russians.Then the went to fight in Italy where thousands were captured by the English
1946 seen 80,000 Ukranian POW`s sent to England and they were given the choice of going back to Russian occupied Ukraine - OR stay and become English /Scottish citizens
SS Galicia 14th Waffen Grenadier Division was the Ukranian troop in the German Army..
Of course , your Lukaz may have entered this country after the war...but to come from Ukraine to England between 1945 and 1965 would have been nigh impossible , as they were USSR ....and until the Berlin wall came down and sanctions were lifted, very very few people left the Ukraine....I would presume he was a POW and captured in Italy....and for the record, my Father in Law had to "sign in " at our local Police Station EVERY Friday night to declare he was not Politically involved with the Communist Party....and those POW`s who went back to Ukraine...disappeared, thought to have been executed
allan:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_(1st_Ukra inian)

Beduffbloke
08-03-11, 09:59
i believe he fought for the Polish Army and was decorated, how can i go about find out Polish Army ww2 records?

Phoenix
08-03-11, 16:25
If he were naturalised, you can find out how to obtain further information: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/naturalisation.htm