PDA

View Full Version : Dopey question about a 2nd marriage in Scotland ~ 1960s

Rachel
22-09-09, 16:55
This was a second marriage for both parties and I don't have the cert just the transcription on ScotlandsPeople.

This gives the names of bride and groom + city, district and year.

Would the wife's surname be her maiden name or that of husband number one ? :confused: :)

thank you xx

kiterunner
22-09-09, 18:18
I can't see anything on Scotland's People that says which it would be, so we might need a Scottish expert! Or at least someone who knows of such a marriage so we can check what name it says on the index.

Uncle John
22-09-09, 18:44
Don't know. Logic says previous married name but Scottish certificates are so full of information I can't be sure. I don't know any ministers to ask, and I don't know anyone who married for the second time in Scotland.

*scuttles off to look in tree just in case*

Rachel
22-09-09, 18:48
Thanks KR and UJ :)

I suppose the sensible thing would be to buy the cert ..... hmmmmm :(

Oh ! had an idea :D

She died in Hampshire I think and it would be a few years after her husband (OH's Gramps) ~ 1970s. So if I find her death on Ancestry, that should give me a date of birth.
Then I can look at births and see if anyone fits :confused:

Uncle John
22-09-09, 18:52
Righty-ho. A sample of one from 1890 - second marriage of bride is indexed in her maiden name. And the third marriage for her sister in 1896 is also indexed in her maiden name.

maggie_4_7
22-09-09, 18:58
I think they are indexed in maiden name and there is another column for any other names.

kiterunner
22-09-09, 19:06
Well done, Uncle John.

Uncle John
22-09-09, 19:08
The register entry for the first one says Signed Jane X or Y, [occupation], widow
where X is the married name and Y is the maiden name.

The register entry for the third marriage of the sister says Signed Margaret X (widow)
where X is her maiden name. No mention of previous married names.

Rachel
22-09-09, 19:23
woops ~ was adding to my last post

thank you Maggie and UJ ~ this begins to look promising

Rachel
23-09-09, 06:22
Thanks KR and UJ :)
Oh ! had an idea :D

She died in Hampshire I think and it would be a few years after her husband (OH's Gramps) ~ 1970s. So if I find her death on Ancestry, that should give me a date of birth.
Then I can look at births and see if anyone fits :confused:

Hmmmph ~ couldn't find her in Hampshire :confused: so guess I'll leave her for now ;)
Thank you for the help

Macbev
23-09-09, 11:15
Can't help with second marriages, but in my experience, the Scots are very keen on preserving the wife's maiden name. I even have death notices listed under her maiden name.

HarrysMum
23-09-09, 11:23
Didn't much matter with mine.................they all married their blinky cousins....lol

Took me ages to work that out.

Rachel
23-09-09, 11:34
Can't help with second marriages, but in my experience, the Scots are very keen on preserving the wife's maiden name. I even have death notices listed under her maiden name.

I noticed that with one of my gt gt grans.
She was Scottish but spent the last 30 or so years in England where she died ~ finding the death was easy because it has her maiden name as her second name. She doesn't use this name anywhere else and I've often wondered if there was any significance in adding it on the death reg.

Macbev
23-09-09, 12:14
I had always been aware of it, Rachel....but it was really brought to my attention when I started searching deaths on the Ayrshire Roots 'Herald Intimations' database. The wives mostly were indexed under their maiden names and you had to look across to the column on the other side to see who their husbands were.

The maiden names of mothers, aunts and grandmothers...even gt grandmothers ...are very frequently preserved as middle names for the offspring. It is a very convenient cultural trait :)

Rachel
23-09-09, 12:22
The maiden names of mothers, aunts and grandmothers...even gt grandmothers ...are very frequently preserved as middle names for the offspring. It is a very convenient cultural trait :)

I think this is not just a Scottish custom ~ I've found many of my English ancestors did the same, but they usually appear on censuses bearing the middle name (or the initial), not just on the death reg. ~ makes me curious as to why gt gt gran never appears with a middle initial or name elsewhere :confused:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it ~ :) :D