PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mary Ann Stanbury

Lindsay
05-03-11, 20:35
Mary Ann Stanbury is a witness on 2 family marriages in 1855 in Poplar, London.

I'm trying to find out if she's who I think she is, but the only possible sighting I have is a Mary Ann Stanbury in Poplar Union workhouse in 1841 (age 12, so born about 1829 in Middlesex). I can't find a baptism, death, marriage or any other census entries which would help confirm who she is.

Can anyone spot her? :confused:

Joan of Archives
05-03-11, 22:00
Stanbury wasn't her married name was it? Could she have been married when she was a witness?

Lindsay
06-03-11, 08:40
Stanbury wasn't her married name was it? Could she have been married when she was a witness?

Anything's possible! However, I suspect she was my gg-grandfather Richard's sister.

Richard married 1855 and Mary Ann Stanbury was a witness together with an uncle. At a cousin's wedding in the same year R. Stanbury (Richard?) and Mary Ann Stanbury were witnesses. If she had 'married in' I'd have thought her husband, whoever he was, would probably have been a witness too? Also, Richard's mother had a sister called Mary Ann.

It's all pretty speculative really. And I'd still like to know what happened to the Mary Ann who was in the workhouse!