PDA

View Full Version : Old Sydney Burial Ground.

HarrysMum
04-03-11, 00:20
Not sure where to put this so feel free to move it.

The original Old Sydney Burial Ground operated from 1788 to 1820. Some headstones were removed when building was done and later more were found.

This is a list of the burials at OSBG.......it is supposed to have every burial whether they had a headstone or not, but some could have been missed.

My 4x great grandfather is there and I know he didn't have a headstone.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/aboutsydney/documents/history/FINAL_Burial_Inventory_BurialStatus_June08.xls

Kit
05-03-11, 22:53
Thanks Libby. I found my 5g grandparents first child who they lost 2 days before his first birthday.

Do you know what the abbreviations mean in the last column: Headstone Transcriptions and References? It has RST:RM:

Ammanda Schutz
06-03-11, 02:57
Hey, Libby, I have been trying to make this website work but it hates me! They say they will email but they never do......(sitting alone, waiting by the computer, weeping)

tenterfieldjulie
06-03-11, 03:07
Ammanda just Google Old Sydney Burial Ground, it should bring up the City of Sydney site and work your way through it. You should see a link to the page Libby is referring to.

tenterfieldjulie
06-03-11, 03:08
Toni and Ammanda. Libby is going to Brisbane this afternoon and won't be back until tomorrow and so she probably won't answer..

marquette
06-03-11, 04:01
Hi Ammanda
If you google "City of Sydney Old Burial Ground" and click on the first result it brings up a page, then click on the navigation panel on the left which says "Old Sydney Burial Ground" then go to the blue link "downloaded" or scroll down to the heading in red "Download". There are two files, the first is the link above and the second file is the abbrevations and explanation of the listing. There are three sheets or pages in the first file, so don't forget to look at them - the second is headstones only and the third is people claimed to be buried at OSBG but no records really exist, other than the parish register.

RST - Parish Registers of St Phillips Church - any remarks recorded in the registers.

RM - referenced in the Mutch Index.

"RM: Thomas D. Mutch Index to NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages, 1787-1956, Mitchell Library CY377 – 378. Card index of birth, marriage, and death entries compiled from parish registers. Though it covers later time periods, it is most effective for the pre-1830 time frame.

RST: St Phillips Church Parish Registers Vol 2 has C/E burials 1787 to 1831
Vol 4 has chronological baptisms, burials & marriages 1787 to 1809 for St Phillips Sydney.
Vol 5 has baptisms, burials & marriages 1809 to 1811 for St Phillips Sydney.
Vol 7 has baptisms, burials & marriages 1812 to 1818 for St Phillips Sydney.
Vol 8 has baptisms, burials & marriages 1819 to 1825 for St Phillips Sydney"

Diane

tenterfieldjulie
06-03-11, 04:07
Thanks Di. I saved your info to the end of the 7 pages I had saved on OSBG. I'm sure I'll want to know your details at another time.

Kit
06-03-11, 10:47
Toni and Ammanda. Libby is going to Brisbane this afternoon and won't be back until tomorrow and so she probably won't answer..

Thanks Julie.

Thanks for the info Di. It makes sense now.

Ammanda Schutz
06-03-11, 12:29
Thanks a lot, Julie and Diane. I'll see if I can navigate the site. I may start crying again later if I can't.