PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean they got married?

Kit
01-03-11, 01:33
I just bought some credits for scotlands people and downloaded what was supposed to be the marriage for my 5g grandparents but the wording is strange.

It says James Crawford merchant in Port Glasgow and Sarah Rufsel residing in the parish of Larbert were booked in order to proclamation for marriage.

The rest of the couples on the page have the same wording.

Another question about their son David. I bought his baptism before I bought the marriage and his baptism is written up the left hand side of the page, from bottom to top. Is this to save space or was he forgotten when the register was originally filled out?

Uncle John
01-03-11, 19:43
I take it the marriage is pre-1855, so it's an OPR (Old Parochial Record). What is actually recorded depends on the whim of the minister or his session clerk. Sometimes the marriage date is written in afterwards. If James was a merchant he may have made a will. The index to wills is free to access and there is often enough detail in the index entry to answer your questions.

Kit
01-03-11, 21:58
You are right UJ it was pre 1855. The entire page is written like that. There is a date above what I had written and other dates on the page, sometimes more than one couple share a date.

I've had a look at the wills and I can't find any I'm confident in for James but I did find one for Sarah. She died in 1861 and as she was a widow on the 1851 census I am assuming he died before this. I've bought hers in the hope it gives me more details on James.