PDA

View Full Version : Letitia (Harvey?)

Mary from Italy
25-02-11, 14:15
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Letitia, surname unknown. Possibly Letitia Harvey.

Date and place of birth
Not known, but presumably c. 1770-80.

Names of parents
Not known

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Richard Pool at St. Dunstan's, Canterbury, Kent on 30th May 1795.

Occupation(s) - if any
Not known

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1795: possibly Canterbury, Kent
1799: possibly Deal, Kent
1800-1817: Leicester, Leicestershire
1814: Orchard Street, Leicester

Date, place and cause of death
Not known, but probably in Leicester between 1817 and 1829.

Date and place of burial
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Not known

Memorial inscription - if any
Not known

My 3xG-grandfather was Richard Pool, baptised in Ibstock, Leicestershire in 1776. He moved from Ibstock to Leicester (settlement order in 1802), and he and his wife Letitia had 7 children born between 1802 and 1817. They were all baptised in Leicester; the first at St. Martin's and the others at St. Margaret's. In 1829 Richard married a widow, Hannah Cope née Abrahams, in Leicester, so Letitia had presumably died by then.

There was also a child Richard Pool born to Richard and Letitia Pool in Deal, Kent in 1799. I’m assuming this is their first child because Richard Pool b. 1799 from Deal is shown as living first in Leicester (where he married) and then in Derby on the censuses, and his grandson Abraham Harrison married Ada Pool, granddaughter of Richard and Letitia’s son Joseph, born in Leicester.

The only likely marriage I've found is the one to Letitia Harvey in Canterbury; however, that Richard was a soldier with the Royal Artillery, and mine was a woolsorter (at least from 1814 onwards). It may be the same person, but I haven't found a military record that would prove that the Richard from Ibstock was the one who married Letitia in Canterbury.

There is one other Richard and Letitia Pool couple, who had 10 children in Shropshire between 1819 and 1835. Their first child was born shortly after the last child of Richard and Letitia in Leicester, but I don't think it can be the same couple, because they appear to have married in Shropshire in 1818. Anyway, Letitia would presumably have been too old to have children by 1835; even if she married at 16, she would have been well over 50 by then.

Anyway in 1841, Richard was living in Leicester with wife Hannah.

Richard's signature in the 1795 marriage register is similar, but not identical, to the one in the 1802 settlement order.

Mary from Italy
25-02-11, 15:29
Just had a thought; the 1802 settlement order only refers to Richard Pool, not to a wife or children. Would they normally be named in the order? If so, maybe the 1795 marriage and the son baptised in 1799 aren't his.

He also says in the Canterbury marriage register that he's "of this parish", but I don't suppose that means a lot.