PDA

View Full Version : I wish

samesizedfeet
21-09-09, 11:55
that the LMA marriages had transcribed the witnesses too.

I know it's not essential but it would be great to see who my rellies were being witnesses for

Merry
21-09-09, 12:04
I agree.

Have you noticed that if you fill in too many search boxes you get zero results even if you use criteria you have already seen in the results? Very frustrating.

samesizedfeet
21-09-09, 12:06
most frustrating is if you search for John Smith then you get up every entry where one of them named their father as JOhn Smith as well and not just when he's the groom.

kiterunner
21-09-09, 12:09
Yes, I would love the witnesses' names to be indexed too, but I suppose it would have taken them much longer to get it online if they'd done that.

Merry
21-09-09, 12:20
most frustrating is if you search for John Smith then you get up every entry where one of them named their father as JOhn Smith as well and not just when he's the groom.

You don't if you go to the search page for the individual record group you want.

eg if you enter John Smith on the main search page you will get these numbers for the new records:

30,022 London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
14,502 London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906
2,342 London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980

but if you select one of the above - say the first one.....and scroll down to the search box under the first page of results and put in John Smith again, you 'only' get 7,392 results!

Obviously you can do the same by selecting a particular record group on the front page where they are listed as 'New'.

Merry
21-09-09, 12:22
Yes, I would love the witnesses' names to be indexed too, but I suppose it would have taken them much longer to get it online if they'd done that.

And I would love it if they had managed to index anything at all (the surname?) for the BMDs for St George Bloomsbury, so I didn't have to plough through 400 pages and then still wonder if I missed a burial! lol

samesizedfeet
21-09-09, 12:24
I've found out that that works (searching each record set) but I don't want to do that. NOt today anyway when it's taking me 5 minutes to load a page. I want to do a general search for the name i want and then view each individual set and only get relevant results.

*being a fusspot emoticon*

kiterunner
21-09-09, 12:30
OMG (as they say), I've found my 3xg-grandfather's baptism! Been wishing for that for so long! It doesn't demolish any brick walls or anything, as I already knew who his parents were, but it's nice to have at last.
I've also found (late 18th / early 19th c) baptisms of several previously unknown siblings and cousins of my ancestors today, but it's quite sad finding them as they're almost certain to have died very young or they would have been mentioned in a will or two.

Lal
21-09-09, 14:04
I have had my eyes opened about the witnesses - i have at least two instances where the same witnesses are on two of the four images shown!!

I had been 'looking' to see where Ethel Price fitted in as she was on two of my certs a few years apart - I have now decided she was a professional witness!!:d

Nell
21-09-09, 17:27
Yes me too - often its a family member who is a witness and can sometimes clinch the hunch that you have the right wedding.

Rachel
21-09-09, 17:43
Does anyone know if births in Paddington (early 1840s) are totally missing ?

Paddington is one of the missing bits from the 1841 census and I was hoping to pinpoint
another one of those tricky gt gt granddads.

Phoenix
21-09-09, 17:44
If East Surrey FHS hadn't ben noting all the witnesses as well as the partners, we might have got our Lambeth indexes out a little sooner. *tries not to advertise*

Merry
21-09-09, 17:57
Does anyone know if births in Paddington (early 1840s) are totally missing ?

Paddington is one of the missing bits from the 1841 census and I was hoping to pinpoint
another one of those tricky gt gt granddads.

Paddington births are in Kensington District for the 1840s - Not sure if that helps??!

samesizedfeet
21-09-09, 18:17
If East Surrey FHS hadn't ben noting all the witnesses as well as the partners, we might have got our Lambeth indexes out a little sooner. *tries not to advertise*

oooooh - I have some Lambeth people.

Is that just marriages or they have you indexed all the parish registers?

kiterunner
22-09-09, 08:18
Look at this for details, Zoe:

http://www.eastsurreyfhs.org.uk/publications/publics1.htm#PRCD

(scroll down for Lambeth)

Rachel
22-09-09, 21:09
Paddington births are in Kensington District for the 1840s - Not sure if that helps??!
:( :confused: Parts of Kensington are also missing from the census