PDA

View Full Version : Bankruptcy - spouse's assets

Muggins in Sussex
28-08-09, 05:45
I was at Kew recently, reading a bankruptcy file ( relating to a certain HW Wicks, of whom some of may will have already heard!);)

He was applying for disharge from bankruptcy in 1953. To my surprise, his wife had to submit a list of her own assets to the court.

I had assumed that her own personal property would have been protected from the creditors :confused:

JessBow
28-08-09, 06:24
I suppose it depends if those assets had at one time been his, then transfered to her.

If they owed a house that was then transfered to her name alone, is there a time span needed for them to be protectd as hers? I am sure a few peole even today move assets around to avoid things like this.

Muggins in Sussex
28-08-09, 06:38
Thanks, Jess - I hadn't thought of that! - she did also have to say when and where she acquired the items.

(Strangely, top of her list is a gold ring she received from T Platt of Ontario in 1918 ...but that's another story for another day) :)

KiwiChris
28-08-09, 06:41
She seriously listed that and where she got it?

How funny is that!

kiterunner
28-08-09, 07:56
I can understand the wife having to declare her assets, because otherwise he could have put stuff into her name just to keep it.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of this story, because the last time I heard of that Platt, I think we were only theorising he might have been Canadian? It's good to see it confirmed by that mention of Ontario.

Muggins in Sussex
29-08-09, 12:28
Thanks Kite

That makes sense

We never knew who Mr Platt was.... Clarence Thomas Platt married Caroline Dowsett in 1918 about a month before HW Wicks married her. As we could never find Clarence, I had decided that he was actually HW Wicks, and there was some insurance scam involved.

Now it seems as though maybe Clarence did exist.

It's all very complicated :eek:

Having had a break from doing my tree for a while, I now feel motivated to resume it, and will try to put a Clarence Thomas Platt query together for the advice of all you experts :)

peppie
29-08-09, 18:03
Ohhh goody I've missed trying to help sort all this out :d

Muggins in Sussex
29-08-09, 19:15
Ohhh goody I've missed trying to help sort all this out :d

LOL, Sharon!!!! :d - Have you gone bonkers? :d:d

Will try to post a sensible question in the next day or so

JayG
29-08-09, 19:21
Not relevant to your question Joan but are all bankruptcy files at Kew?

Muggins in Sussex
29-08-09, 19:31
Not relevant to your question Joan but are all bankruptcy files at Kew?

Hi Jay - I'm afraid I don't know ;(

Hopefully someone more knoweagable than I will have the answer :)

peppie
29-08-09, 20:11
LOL, Sharon!!!! :d - Have you gone bonkers? :d

Will try to post a sensible question in the next day or so

Nope! :d I just think it's a fantastic mystery......... As well as the story being of great historical significance, which is besides the fact that it is a very personal story and journey for yourself! *hugs*

when are we going to kew again? :D

Arrgghh need more smilies!

Muggins in Sussex
29-08-09, 20:17
Nope! :d I just think it's a fantastic mystery......... As well as the story being of great historical significance, which is besides the fact that it is a very personal story and journey for yourself! *hugs*

when are we going to kew again? :D

Arrgghh need more smilies!

Aw Sharon thanks :) Sometimes I worry about being so repetitive about it! :rolleyes:

Kew soon, I hope!

Kit
30-08-09, 02:49
(Strangely, top of her list is a gold ring she received from T Platt of Ontario in 1918 ...but that's another story for another day) :)

Joan that is great that she mentions this. It does sound like Mr Platt did exist. The mystery being where did he go, and why?

Muggins in Sussex
30-08-09, 08:18
Joan that is great that she mentions this. It does sound like Mr Platt did exist. The mystery being where did he go, and why?

Thanks Toni - yes - and why did he marry Caroline a month before HW Wicks married her, giving as his address the same address as Wicks?

I have lots of hunting to do!

Merry
30-08-09, 10:01
What a shame no one seems to have the wedding photos!

Merry
30-08-09, 10:02
Putting a ring at the top of her assets list and saying it was from Platt sounds like a double bluff to me.

Muggins in Sussex
30-08-09, 10:13
LOL, Merry!! :)

You could be right....the list doesn't include any other jewelry ....no ring from Wicks

So maybe one ring, one husband!

maggie_4_7
30-08-09, 10:46
Thanks Kite

That makes sense

We never knew who Mr Platt was.... Clarence Thomas Platt married Caroline Dowsett in 1918 about a month before HW Wicks married her. As we could never find Clarence, I had decided that he was actually HW Wicks, and there was some insurance scam involved.

Now it seems as though maybe Clarence did exist.

It's all very complicated :eek:

Having had a break from doing my tree for a while, I now feel motivated to resume it, and will try to put a Clarence Thomas Platt query together for the advice of all you experts :)

I can't wait I have missed your conundrums! :)

Muggins in Sussex
30-08-09, 17:19
I can't wait I have missed your conundrums! :)

Thanks Maggie :) - I feel there are many more to come :eek: