Labourer

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) -
Chilton Trinity, Durley, Bridgewater.

Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Everything unknown at this stage.
John Nation was his son who was supposedly born about 1815 Somerset, according to the marriage details (which were a complete lie) on his daughter's birth cert of 1856 in Australia.

I've added all the new info in Red.

Merry
06-02-11, 08:33
This isn't going to help, but........I jut read the thread about John Nation and you said:

There is a baptism for a John Nation in Somerset in 1820 but I can't prove any connection.

If that is the one in Taunton in Feb 1820 (or same date in 1822, depending where you look!), son of Wm and Susan - he is still in the UK in 1841 and 1851, so he isn't yours. Sorry.

I did notice you are saying about 1815 here, but about 1820 on the other thread!

There's two baps in Wilton Somerset children of John and Jane Nation - Marianne July 1819 and John Feb 1821 that I've not found at a later date yet, so they might need following up.

HarrysMum
06-02-11, 08:38
Sorry Merry I should have added that.

This guy (John, not his father) seems to be a habitual liar, only surpassed by his "wife"....lol

Merry
06-02-11, 09:11
I just looked at some trees on Ancestry.

There are five trees having John b 1815 in Wilton. Two have him as the son of John and Jane, but don't mention the 1821 baptism. One has unknown for parents. One has the parents as John Nation and Mary Ann Skinner, but no baptism for their son b 1815. The last tree has no father but Mary Ann Skinner as the mum (again no bap for the son and everyone has 1815 as the birth date). I am more interested in this last entry, as to have no father known but the mother's name inc maiden name recorded suggests some sort of additional info known to that tree poster.

UPDATE I just spotted that the tree that has parents John Nation and Mary Ann Skinner has the father dying in 1804 even though his son was b 1815, so that's erm.....interesting!

The tree with mother but no father has an elder brother of your John (1815) as Thomas Skinner Nation b 1811 in Bridgwater, Som. I guess hThomas is still here in 1839 as there is a marriage for him, but no death in that name, so unless he dropped his middle name or it's mistranscribed, I wonder where he went?

Merry
06-02-11, 09:16
Hmmmm....well he is still here in 1861 in the workhouse. I was hoping he had also emigrated.......

HarrysMum
06-02-11, 09:20
Merry...my John gives his exact marriage date on his daughter's birth cert. It's a lie. His "wife" Phoebe, was still married to someone else. John and Phoebe have 7 kids together and name the 5th one (my great grandmother) after the still alive husband of Phoebe.

Now...who does that????

tenterfieldjulie
06-02-11, 09:29
Libby that may be a coincidence.

HarrysMum
06-02-11, 09:38
Libby that may be a coincidence.

I know.....................why else would you call a girl Mepham??????????

tenterfieldjulie
06-02-11, 09:42
lol ... Did Mepham have any children of his own?

HarrysMum
06-02-11, 09:47
Mepham is my great grandmother's middle name.......also the name of her mother's still very much alive husband.

Why???

I actually have a thread somewhere about this........probably not really relevant for this thtread as it's supposed to be 2 generations further back....lol

tenterfieldjulie
06-02-11, 09:49
lol

Merry
06-02-11, 17:51
Merry...my John gives his exact marriage date on his daughter's birth cert. It's a lie. His "wife" Phoebe, was still married to someone else. John and Phoebe have 7 kids together and name the 5th one (my great grandmother) after the still alive husband of Phoebe.

Now...who does that????

I don't understand - are you saying that because he lied about one thing then he lied about everything else, in which case there's no point in looking? Or somethink else?

HarrysMum
06-02-11, 18:35
Not exactly Merry.......lol

Potted history...

Phoebe Martin (daughter of James Martin and Eleanor Walter, baptised 26th March 1820, Heathfield Sussex) married Benjamin Mepham 16th Oct 1835, Heathfield. One son, Benjamin. They come to Australia pre 1844.

Enter, John Nation...

First child born to Phoebe and John is Jane, 28th March 1844.

More children born....including my g grandmother Amelia MEPHAM Nation 9th Oct 1852.

Charlotte Nation born 16th Nov 1856 (significant as this is the first BIRTH cert...the others were bap...with dob included)
On Charlotte's birth cert....the date of marriage for John and Phoebe is 14th Oct 1841, St James Sydney.

I have gone through those records and there is no marriage recorded. It could have missed the records?????? but 'first' husband, Benjamin is still alive until 1883.

John Nation's death cert has unknown for parents. Age 44. Length of time in Aus 28?? years (could be 20). Informant was Benjamin MEPHAM stepson.

tenterfieldjulie
06-02-11, 21:08
Libby are you sure that the first husband was still alive? Could there have been another Benjamin Mepham?

HarrysMum
06-02-11, 21:28
Doubt it Julie.....for a start he's the right age. He's born in the right county, although Sussex has plenty of Mephams. He's by himself in the assylum.

Now that could be the sticker.......I can't get an answer as to whether you could remarry if the first one was in the assylum????

However, we still can't find that marriage in Sydney....

And it still doesn't tell me why they named Amelia after him???

Merry
07-02-11, 06:09
So the name Mary Ann Skinner/Nation doesn't mean anything?

HarrysMum
07-02-11, 06:27
Oh Merry...why do you do this to me???? Is it supposed to????

I'll go check....you just sit there and laugh. Funny how I know the Ariels off by heart, by my lot..........???????

HarrysMum
07-02-11, 06:33
Well, I'll be!!!!

I have contacted three of those tree owners and none have so far been able to prove which John Nation is actually ours......lol

Maybe another few emails.......

HarrysMum
07-02-11, 06:48
Merry......I love you........................xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Merry
07-02-11, 09:02
pmsl!! lol