marquette
04-02-11, 11:24
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
George Dawson

Date and place of birth
1 Dec 1800, Rotherhithe Wall, Rotherhithe Surrey

Names of parents
Joseph Dawson, Mastmaker, and his wife Mary
I have been right through the marriages of St Mary Rotherhithe in the LMA records on ancestry and cannot find a marriage, the nearest I can find is Joseph Dawson and Mary Pillin at St Nicholas in Deptford

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
31 Dec 1800, St Mary Rotherhithe

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
married Sophia Brazill in Lee Kent, 23 Aug 1825 (Lee parish is in fact very close to Deptford and Rotherhithe)

Occupation(s) - if any
Sailmaker

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

1827 -Rotherhithe Walls, Surrey
1830 - Paradise St, Rotherhithe
1832 - Deptford Rd, Rotherhithe
1836 - Paradise St, Rotherhithe
1838 - Swan Island, Rotherhithe
1841 - Swan Seven Islands, Southwark Rotherhithe with Sophia and children (There is a Mary Dawson in Princess St Rotherhithe who was possibly his mother).
1848 - West Lane, Rotherhithe

Date, place and cause of death
23 Aug 1849 (from burial date), of West Lane.Sep 1849 Bermondsey 4 17 .

Date and place of burial.
24 Aug 1849, St James Bermondsey

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
none

Memorial inscription - if any
none known

Margaret in Burton
04-02-11, 14:53
Looks like the death could have been one of those missed off the GRO. Just looked at the images for the right quarter and he's not listed.

marquette
04-02-11, 20:20
Looks like the death could have been one of those missed off the GRO. Just looked at the images for the right quarter and he's not listed.
it would help if I put the right Name

GEORGE DAWSON

Sorry don't know why I confused him with his father -that will teach me to write posts late at night and not check them properly.
Can a mod change the title, or am I stuck with it ?

Margaret in Burton
04-02-11, 20:31
it would help if I put the right Name

GEORGE DAWSON

Sorry don't know why I confused him with his father -that will teach me to write posts late at night and not check them properly.
Can a mod change the title, or am I stuck with it ?

In that case

George Dawson
Sep qtr 1849
Bermondsey
Vol 4
page 17

marquette
04-02-11, 23:39
Thanks Marg, yes, thats him - I don't know why I don't have that in my database.

Maybe I should get the certificate just to see why he died at such a young age, and why Bermondsey not Rotherhithe.

Di

Margaret in Burton
05-02-11, 16:29
Thanks Marg, yes, thats him - I don't know why I don't have that in my database.

Maybe I should get the certificate just to see why he died at such a young age, and why Bermondsey not Rotherhithe.

Di

A death is registered where someone dies not where they normally live. Perhaps he was in hospital or with relatives.

My 2x great grandmother is registered in Stamford Lincs and she lived in Rutland so it should have been Oakham district. She was in hospital.

marquette
07-02-11, 09:31
Well, only the certificate will tell, Marg. As soon as I can I will get it.
(Its not the $$ or pounds, its the lack of credit card)

Daughter is off to UK in a couple of months, so maybe I can get her to organise it in person. Not sure how keen she is to chase up family history, but surely she can make a visit or two, there is no hurry.l

Di

Merry
07-02-11, 09:53
Burial details (LMA)

St James Church, Bermondsey, Surrey

George Dawson, West Lane, bur August 24th 1849 aged 49 years by Jos. Richards, curate

marquette
10-02-11, 05:30
Thanks Merry,

West Lane was the abode given on his youngest child's baptism, its next to Paradise St where they lived for a while.

Everything (baptisms, marriages, burials) seems to have been at St Mary Rotherhithe, Deptford or Lee. Bermondsey not far away though, but why not bury him at Rotherhithe with his son John.One of my g-g-gfs had a seizure on the Sydney-Manly ferry and was taken to Sydney Hospital where he died, so dying some distance from home is not unknown to me.

Di