PDA

View Full Version : The father of William Allen (Week 13 - FMMFF)

Merry
04-02-11, 09:19
Hmm, this isn't easy!! lol

William Allen (my 2xg-gp) was b about 1807. His places of birth are recorded as follows:

1851 Lichfield, Staffs
1861 Burton upon Trent, Staffs
1871 Ashby de la Zouche, Staffs (isn't that in Leicestershire?!)
1881 Ashby de la Zouche, Leic
1891 Ashby, Leic

His lived the majority of his married live in Bristol having married in All Saints, Alrewas, Staffordshire in 1831 (where his wife was from)

So, I just need his bap to find his father! :)

Mary from Italy
04-02-11, 09:59
Yes, Ashby de la Z is in Leicestershire.

Margaret in Burton
04-02-11, 10:20
It doesn't have an e on the end either

Mary from Italy
04-02-11, 10:45
I think that 1851 census must be wrong as regards the birthplace, because his son Edwin is consistently shown as born in Worcester on the other censuses, but Lichfield in 1851. Perhaps the enumerator messed up.

Ashby is about 10 miles from Burton, so perhaps he was actually born in one of the villages in between.

Merry
04-02-11, 11:03
It doesn't have an e on the end either

lol! Sorry Marg :o *changes FH prog*

I think that 1851 census must be wrong as regards the birthplace, because his son Edwin is consistently shown as born in Worcester on the other censuses, but Lichfield in 1851. Perhaps the enumerator messed up.

Good point Mary!

Ashby is about 10 miles from Burton, so perhaps he was actually born in one of the villages in between.

I hadn't really considered that. *consults map*

One thing I did do was look to see if there were any more male Allens b in Ashby around the same time (IGI and 1851 census), but there were none within ten years.

Mary from Italy
04-02-11, 11:07
They're in Birmingham in 1841, all born out of county, which doesn't really help.

Merry
04-02-11, 11:12
Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

I was surprised when I first saw the 1841 census that Wm was a paper hanger at that date, as I'd decided it was something he had done later in life when he gave up cabinet making.

I wonder if he would have been apprenticed?

Mary from Italy
04-02-11, 11:21
No idea, but it seems likely. Maybe his father was in the same trade, too.

Mary from Italy
04-02-11, 11:30
I've had a quick look at the Staffs archive catalogue in case there's an apprenticeship deed, but there isn't, although I don't know if they have them all indexed. There are a few William Allens mentioned (including one in Burton), but nothing that obviously connects them to yours.

http://www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive2&dsqCmd=Index.tcl

Merry
04-02-11, 12:11
Thanks for looking Mary.

Margaret in Burton
04-02-11, 15:00

Anything between is likely to be in South Derbyshire. Swadlincote, Woodville (previously called Wooden Box), Church or Castle Gresley, Stanton.

Moira perhaps which is in Leicestershire plus Donisthorpe, Oakthorpe or Measham.

Those are just off the top of my head, without looking at a map.

Mary from Italy
04-02-11, 17:10
There's a guy transcribing the PRs for that area. Your William isn't there at the moment, but it might be worth checking the site from time to time:

http://www.southderbyshirebdm.co.uk/baptismnamesearch.asp

Merry
04-02-11, 21:43
Thanks Mary :)

lol Marg, I feel much better knowing there are lots of possibles! :rolleyes:

Margaret in Burton
05-02-11, 16:30
Thanks Mary :)

lol Marg, I feel much better knowing there are lots of possibles! :rolleyes:

Oh there are lots more than that. :D:D:D

Merry
05-02-11, 18:13
:eek::rolleyes::mad:

Margaret in Burton
05-02-11, 18:39
Seriously though, you may not know this.

The border with Staffs and Derbys in those days was the river Trent. Burton is in Staffs. Records may be at Burton library which I can look up. They may be at Stafford or Lichfield.
Derbyshire records could be at the Local Studies Library in Derby, which I can look up, or mainly in the CRO at Matlock.
Leicestershire are in Leicester, there are some records at Ashby library.

I'm afraid you are in a triangle of county boundaries.

Merry
05-02-11, 19:56
Hmmmm. The trouble is, if I found a bap I think it would probably be very hard to prove it was the right person.

Merry
04-11-14, 13:39
I can do this one now:

The father of William Allen, in the thread title, is.......William Allen!

Name - "official" name and what they were known as

William Allen

Date and place of birth

About 1786 most likely at Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire

Names of parents

George Allen and Sarah nee Ames

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

5 Nov 1786 at St Modwen's, Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

21 Dec 1806 at St Michael's, Lichfield, Staffordshire

Occupation(s) - if any

Schoolmaster

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

Just about all his married life in Lichfield.
1841 Tamworth Street, Lichfield
1843 Butcher's Row, Lichfield

Date, place and cause of death

14 Feb 1843 at Butcher's Row, Lichfield. Cause: abscess of the loins

Date and place of burial.

Not traced

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Nothing on Death Duty Register

Memorial inscription - if any

Not looked