PDA

View Full Version : Derbyshire BMDs - findmypast

kiterunner
31-01-11, 14:11
I'm somewhat confused about these because they are described as baptisms, marriages and burials from the Derbyshire Registrars Birth Index, Marriage Index and Death Index, with date ranges from 1837 to around 2009. So I would have thought it was Derbyshire's BMD indexes if they weren't describing them as baptisms and burials? Also as far as I can see they are included in "parish records" though I know they have other stuff in there that isn't from parish records. Can anyone who has a sub please have a look at some of them and tell us what they are! Thanks!

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/news/news-item.jsp?doc=DerbyshireJan11.html

Margaret in Burton
31-01-11, 15:27
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/derbyshire-1.jpg

kiterunner
31-01-11, 15:27
Hmmm, searching the index for popular Muslim and Sikh names and getting lots of results, it doesn't look very likely to me that these are baptisms, rather birth registrations. I think findmypast should get their terminology sorted out!

Margaret in Burton
31-01-11, 15:30
This is one of mine, no parents named. Very odd.

Year: 1841

Relationship:

Forenames: Emma

Surname: Yates

SubDistrict: Brassington

County: Derbyshire

Register Office Num: Ashbourne

Reference: BNB/02/056

Record source: Derbyshire Registrars Birth Index

Data provider: Derbyshire Family History Society

Transcriptions © Derbyshire Family History Society

Margaret in Burton
31-01-11, 15:31
It's register office isn't it not record office.

It's birth not baptism.

Margaret in Burton
31-01-11, 15:32
Actually it does say it's the Derbyshire Registrar's index,

but yes, FMP should get their terminology right

kiterunner
31-01-11, 15:47
Thanks for the info, Marg.

It's going to be very annoying for anyone who thinks they are baptisms and uses up 5 credits to look at an entry which just gives them the registration number! I can see her (Emma Yates') name, year, and sub-district on the free search, and as far as I know you can order a birth cert from the local register office without a reference number?

Margaret in Burton
31-01-11, 16:42
Thanks for the info, Marg.

It's going to be very annoying for anyone who thinks they are baptisms and uses up 5 credits to look at an entry which just gives them the registration number! I can see her (Emma Yates') name, year, and sub-district on the free search, and as far as I know you can order a birth cert from the local register office without a reference number?

yes, Ashbourne register office are brilliant.

I'll leave it to you to inform FMP of their HUGE error

kiterunner
31-01-11, 18:21
I've already posted on their blog but I don't know whether they ever read the comments on there.

kiterunner
01-02-11, 14:06
Thanks to Bella for this link:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/DARG/index.html

kiterunner
03-02-11, 11:16
Well, I'm glad to see they've corrected the description on their front page, but if you search parish baptisms for Emma Yates, you would still have no way of knowing it was a birth registration index entry rather than a baptism until you had used your 5 credits.