PDA

View Full Version : Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations - FamilySearch

kiterunner
22-01-11, 09:43
Not sure if they are new or updated?
Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations (https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/show#uri=http://search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1410775&hash=Mrd8SMocDIIen2Q83tu%252B82PRagg%253D)

No images, just the transcriptions, but maybe worth a look if you're searching for a Cheshire marriage.

ElizabethHerts
22-01-11, 11:10
Thanks, Kiterunner!

I have found the marriage bond/allegation for

Joseph Newton and Jane Hall

who might be OH's 3x great grandparents.

Do I order this for Cheshire Archives or where?

I know that OH's 3xgt grandparents are Joseph and Jane Newton, but I'm still trying to confirm the correct marriage for them.

https://www.familysearch.org/s/recordDetails/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpilot.familysearch.org%2Frec ords%2Ftrk%3A%2Ffsrs%2Frr_1172716836%2Fp1&hash=HloWXpZgU9zB10k5M56iYku8TUc%253D

kiterunner
22-01-11, 14:50
Yes, I would think it's Cheshire Archives.

ElizabethHerts
22-01-11, 14:58
Thanks, Kiterunner. I have e-mailed them so I hope they will be able to give me more information. It would be good to confirm if this couple really are OH's ancestors.

I'm also praying that their parents are named, because I haven't a clue who they are!

JayG
23-01-11, 11:25
I'm just about to do the same Elizabeth as i've just found my 5 x great grandparents in 1792.

How many times do you couple appear in the index? Mine are there 3 times, wonder if this is an indication of how many 'records' are available?

ElizabethHerts
23-01-11, 13:00
They appear twice, Jay G. I hope it's the right couple. Their ages are given as 21 in the second entry, which would be incorrect. If they just mean over 21, that would be OK!

Michael
27-01-11, 17:39
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what, in this context, is an allegation?

kiterunner
27-01-11, 18:54
They have a Wiki article all about it on FamilySearch, Michael:
FamilySearch Wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/England_Cheshire_Marriage_Allegations_(FamilySearc h_Historical_Records))

Michael
27-01-11, 20:55
Thanks!

ElizabethHerts
27-01-11, 21:03
I've got to order one tomorrow - I got a reply a couple of days' ago telling me that they have the one I'm interested in, so I have to fill in a form and send it off.

JayG
19-02-11, 20:11
I forgot all about this as I got side tracked when I posted before!

I've ordered it this week, along with two post 1858 wills which are £3.50 each & not a fiver like they are from York!

Elizabeth I did mine online, haven't sent anything off to Cheshire? Has what you've received (well i'm guessing you have it by now) been useful?

ElizabethHerts
19-02-11, 20:17
Jay, I got the marriage allegation last week.

Unfortunately it didn't tell me anything useful. It was a standard form with the names added. All it told me was the bride and groom's names and where they lived (Manchester). No further details, no parents names or ages except that they were both over 21.

I suppose I shouldn't expect them all to tell me as much as my Sussex marriage allegations/bonds, which were brilliant.

Unfortunately, I don't think they were OH's family.

JayG
19-02-11, 20:25
Ah that's disappointing Elizabeth, back to the drawing boarding then.

Mine's a little ealier than the one you had (1792) so hopefully I might get something useful from it.

ElizabethHerts
19-02-11, 20:29
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jay!

Let me know what you find out.

Luckily it only cost £4, so not too much for a rather disappointing result.

JayG
19-02-11, 21:00
Whist it's not too bad it's still £4, tho at least you haven't paid £9.75 & ended up with the wrong cert.

Thanks Elizabeth.

I know they are my couple (5 x great grandparents), one's a Fisher the other a Brown & there's rather of Fishers in Cheshire, nevermind Browns!

JayG
08-03-11, 11:27
I received my documents this morning, not really anything I didn't already know but both of them are signed by my 5 x great grandfather which is great. His signature is much neater & clearer than the person who wrote the bond & allegation!

The two wills are interesting as they both state a certain son in law is 'not to have a pence piece' so that's wondering why.

ElizabethHerts
08-03-11, 11:30
I received my documents this morning, not really anything I didn't already know but both of them are signed by my 5 x great grandfather which is great. His signature is much neater & clearer than the person who wrote the bond & allegation!

The two wills are interesting as they both state a certain son in law is 'not to have a pence piece' so that's wondering why.

Great to have the signature, Jay. How mystifying about the wills - shame it wasn't explained.

JayG
08-03-11, 11:48
Oh this gets interesting, the son in law is Irish & a police pensioner on the 1901 census & also deaf.

maddocks
14-03-11, 20:08
I am looking for Wedding Bonds for two weddings in Chester 1790 ,
Richard Maddocks married Mary Roberts Jan 4th 1790 St Bridgets Chester.
Richard Maddocks married to Mary Saunders March 19th 1790 ar St Oswald Chester .
I do have the actual wedding certificates

kiterunner
14-03-11, 22:00
I can't see them in the Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations database on FamilySearch. Presumably it does say "by licence" on the marriages rather than "by banns"?