PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering some writing on a marriage

maggie_4_7
19-09-09, 11:43
Can anyone read what it says for occupation of William Cook the father and also the witness' names?

Its very small but if you click on it you can view in another window.

Merry
19-09-09, 11:45
Father is a victualler. (an innkeeper)

Merry
19-09-09, 11:45
The second witness looks like Susannah Bull.

Merry
19-09-09, 11:47
The other one is a bit tricky - I would say first name Edward or some other name beginning with Ed, initial C, last name Tracey or Macey or some other name ending in acey!

maggie_4_7
19-09-09, 11:47
Could it be Hannah and not Susannah for the witness?

This one is a real mystery, I believe this woman lied about who her father was because she didn't who he was but perhaps her mother told her it was him!

edit to say: You're right Merry I think it does say Susannah terrible writing.

Merry
19-09-09, 11:50
Could it be Hannah and not Susannah for the witness?

I think she has signed Susannah, but that wouldn't stop her from being Hannah in other sources! Do you know what she was baptised?

maggie_4_7
19-09-09, 11:51
I think she has signed Susannah, but that wouldn't stop her from being Hannah in other sources! Do you know what she was baptised?

No idea -I had a feeling it was her sister but I don't think it is now.

There's such a lot of mystery and strange happenings in this family that I am always suspicious of things.

Merry
19-09-09, 11:55
There's such a lot of mystery and strange happenings in this family that I am always suspicious of things.

lol! I have some like that too!

Joan of Archives
19-09-09, 11:55
Definitely "Victualler" I have plenty of them in my tree :rolleyes:

Susannah Bull I would say, but usually Ann/Hannah can be interchanged, I haven't come across Susannah/Hannah being used for the same person before :)

maggie_4_7
19-09-09, 12:02
Basically this woman is my great great grandmother's first daughter (well I think she is) she was illegitimate so she wouldn't know who her father was.

She wasn't born in London but Norfolk and her mother brought her to London when she was 2/3 years old after marrying my Great Great Grandfather then went on to have two more children with him, he died then she had another with her dead husband's cousin! Who then ran off and then that baby died then 6 years later she married someone else.

I think that is a bit of fantasy or her mother lied to her, they never returned to the village in Norfolk so I suppose she could have told her anything.

William Cook was her grandfather's name he was a Blacksmith! But her uncle was a Inn Keeper!

Edit to say: unless I have been tracking the completely wrong woman! I will have to go back and check a lot more things.