PDA

View Full Version : anyone with Premium Ancestry who could look at probate please?

Rosie Knees
16-01-11, 13:44
I'd like to know if the following left a will:

William Frederick Cox died Newark 1918 and his son

George Frederick Cox died Newark 11/06/1974

if some kind soul could have a look I'd be very gratefull

thanks

Margaret in Burton
16-01-11, 14:08
The probate calendar only goes to 1941. I may have found the one in 1918, no middle name though, was his wife's name Rebecca?

Margaret in Burton
16-01-11, 14:12
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/WilliamCoxNPC.jpg

Rosie Knees
16-01-11, 14:16
thanks Marg, that's him

any advice on the will for 1974?

Have to dash, will be back later.

Margaret in Burton
16-01-11, 14:23
You'll have to write to the probate office. Pay your £5 and hope there is a will. It's none refundable.

I got my grandmothers from 1973 and my grandfathers from 1984. I knew they both definitely left wills though. I use the Birmingham office, they seem a lot quicker.

Rosie Knees
16-01-11, 17:39
thanks Marg

Rosie Knees
17-01-11, 09:35
Marg, did you just write a letter to the Probate Office with all the relevent details (ie DOD etc) and enclose your cheque?

Also, you couldn't point me in the direction of the form to fill in to get the 1918 one could you?:rolleyes::)

Margaret in Burton
17-01-11, 09:45
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa1s_0405.pdf

It says to send to York but they take ages. I have been sending to Birmingham. It costs £5 if you tick both boxes for will and grant of probate (for the both not £5 each)

You can the 1970's will from there as well. Use the same form, you have to print them out.

The Priory Courts
33 Bull Street
Birmingham West Midlands
England
B4 6DU

Rosie Knees
17-01-11, 13:15
thanks Marg, you're a pal :D

JayG
17-01-11, 18:51
Rosie if it was my rellie I won't bother sending for the 1918 one as it's only administration not probate, 99% of the admins have no more info than in the index.

JBee
17-01-11, 19:37
I never knew it was there - can you walk in or does it have to be by letter.

Margaret in Burton
17-01-11, 19:37
Rosie if it was my rellie I won't bother sending for the 1918 one as it's only administration not probate, 99% of the admins have no more info than in the index.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that.

Margaret in Burton
17-01-11, 19:38
I never knew it was there - can you walk in or does it have to be by letter.

Don't know. You could always give them a call and ask.

Rosie Knees
18-01-11, 14:57
well spotted Jay. Decisions, decisions lol

Rosie Knees
21-01-11, 15:18
decided against getting William's will as he appears to left it all to Rebecca. Got his DC btw, heart disease got him.

Might I beg a look for Rebecca's will? *flutters eyelashes*

Rebecca Cox, Newark, march Q1929. AGed 65

Margaret in Burton
21-01-11, 15:44
Found it. Admin only again.

Give me a minute and I'll post it up.

Margaret in Burton
21-01-11, 15:47
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/RebeccaCox.jpg

Rosie Knees
22-01-11, 13:14
thanks Marg. I was about to have a whinge about it being admin again but then I saw the record and it's quite informative lol. Rebecca died in the house that OH was born in. We knew there was property in the family in Alliance street and are trying to work out who bought it/sold it/left it to whom.

Would 'effects' include property or just money? Also I'm wondering how admin works; how do they know to split the estate between George and Henry if there is no will? Need to find out who exactly Henry was but I'm sure there were other relations of Rebecca alive when she died.

Margaret in Burton
22-01-11, 18:05
thanks Marg. I was about to have a whinge about it being admin again but then I saw the record and it's quite informative lol. Rebecca died in the house that OH was born in. We knew there was property in the family in Alliance street and are trying to work out who bought it/sold it/left it to whom.

Would 'effects' include property or just money? Also I'm wondering how admin works; how do they know to split the estate between George and Henry if there is no will? Need to find out who exactly Henry was but I'm sure there were other relations of Rebecca alive when she died.

If there is no will then children get equal shares.

Children come before brothers and sisters when someone dies leaving no Will.

Effects would mean property as well if she owned it, was it rented?

Is Henry not George's brother?

Rosie Knees
23-01-11, 13:57
If there is no will then children get equal shares.

Children come before brothers and sisters when someone dies leaving no Will.

Effects would mean property as well if she owned it, was it rented?

Is Henry not George's brother?

last things first lol. No Henry is not George's brother; well he wasn't on the 1901 by which time Rebecca would have been 39. Not too old to have another child I know but she'd have to be quick if he was to be old enough to be a butcher by 1929 when she died. There were 3 sisters of George: Lydia, Rebecca and Annie.

As to owning the property well ... 51 Alliance Street where William died in 1918 was built in 1888 by William's father, Frederick. The row which contained 61 where Rebecca died and OH was born was already built in 1888 as we've got an old map. We suspect that Rebecca sold 51 and bought the terrace, living in one of the houses and renting out the rest. There were 5 in the row and according to the local directory for 1938 three of them were lived in by the Cox family. OH's mum and dad, his grandad and his G grandad.

So yes, she owned them. As far as I know! I have no idea how to find out lol. The row of cottages were subject to slum clearance in the late 50s and I assume there was some sort of compulsory purchase order.

Rosie Knees
23-01-11, 14:00
I've just seen on freeBMD that there was a Henry Cox born in 1903 who would be old enough to have become a butcher by 1929 so he could have been George's brother.

Wonder what's on the IGI

(nothing!)

Margaret in Burton
23-01-11, 14:07
have you checked the 1911?

Margaret in Burton
23-01-11, 14:10
Yes, he's their son. He's on the 1911 for Alliance Villa, Newark.

Want the image?

Margaret in Burton
23-01-11, 14:14
According to the 1911, Frederick and Rebecca had 7 children , one of which had died. Just William and Rebecca plus 3 children on that. Lydia, Annie and Harry (Henry)

How old was George?

Rosie Knees
23-01-11, 14:21
Thanks Marg, I was just looking (as far as I was able) on the 1911 and could find nothing for Henry Cox bc 1903. Then OH says 'look for Harry'. He distinctly remembers helping his grandad (George b1886) and a 'Harry Cox' to move a load of bricks in the early 60s. I now reckon that would have been his great uncle Harry!

woopie lol. Yes please re the image xxxxxxxxx :):) will PM addy

*more kisses*

Margaret in Burton
23-01-11, 14:33
Thanks Marg, I was just looking (as far as I was able) on the 1911 and could find nothing for Henry Cox bc 1903. Then OH says 'look for Harry'. He distinctly remembers helping his grandad (George b1886) and a 'Harry Cox' to move a load of bricks in the early 60s. I now reckon that would have been his great uncle Harry!

woopie lol. Yes please re the image xxxxxxxxx :):) will PM addy

*more kisses*

Got your PM.

I put the tick in the box for include variants and up popped Harry.

Image on the way very soon. Just saving it.

Rosie Knees
23-01-11, 14:39
Got your PM.

I put the tick in the box for include variants and up popped Harry.

Image on the way very soon. Just saving it.

*mwah* :)

wonder when Ancestry will give us the full 1911????

Margaret in Burton
23-01-11, 14:40
Found George as well in 1911. Have sent that as well, separate email. Unsure if you have it.
You only thought William and Rebecca had 3 girls as well as George, wonder who the other 2 are then, one dead?

Rosie Knees
23-01-11, 14:41
image arrived. Thanks :D

printing it now for scrutinising lol

Margaret in Burton
23-01-11, 14:43
image arrived. Thanks :D

printing it now for scrutinising lol

I prefer to read them on the screen, enlarges hard to read bits easier. lol

Rosie Knees
23-01-11, 14:44
thanks again :):) Will need to work out who all the 7 were.

Rosie Knees
24-01-11, 15:06
hi Marg, no sign of George's 1911 would you mind resending please? Fanks :)

Jackie H
24-01-11, 15:52
Rebecca died in the house that OH was born in. We knew there was property in the family in Alliance street and are trying to work out who bought it/sold it/left it to whom.

Hi Rosie

Re the question about Henry and George. I think I'm right in saying that they are the people who were granted letters of administration, that is they were the administrators of the estate (like executors if there is a will). They will have had to distribute the estate according to the laws of intestacy at the time, so if there were several children, each should have got an equal share.

The fact that they are named on the Probate Register doesn't necessarily mean they inherited anything.

Margaret in Burton
24-01-11, 16:21
hi Marg, no sign of George's 1911 would you mind resending please? Fanks :)

Will do

Rosie Knees
24-01-11, 17:50
Jackie, thanks, so that could possibly mean that George and Harry split it equally between themselves and their sisters if Rebecca died intestate.

Thanks Marg, got it ok this time.

Jackie H
24-01-11, 18:11
Yes that's what should have happened. I don't think there's any way of finding out what actually did happen - as far as I'm aware the courts don't actually check whether it has been distributed correctly unless someone contests it (the same as happens if there is a will). Not that I'm suggesting they did anything other than deal with it properly