PDA

View Full Version : London Land Tax Valuations 1910 - ancestry

kiterunner
10-01-11, 22:04
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1735

Indexed by the World Archives Project volunteers.

Ooh, my 2xg-grandfather is on there!! *excited emoticon*

Judging by the pages I indexed, most of the entries are for businesses and it only covers the City of London and a couple of other districts. But if your ancestor lived elsewhere you never know, you might find them listed as a landlord.

Phoenix
11-01-11, 13:05
I got excited, until I realised they actually meant Valuation Act records, as opposed to Land Tax.

Will they be linking them to the maps, Kate?

kiterunner
11-01-11, 13:33
I have no idea, sorry.

kiterunner
11-01-11, 15:51
But I still wonder whether anyone at Ancestry realised it was almost all "The City of London" as opposed to the whole of London. Do they understand the difference?

kiterunner
11-01-11, 18:37
They're advertising it on their front page with pictures, and captions saying "HUGE... or tiny cottage? Value your ancestors' homes. Search our NEW records". If you choose to browse the database, the only "parishes" you can choose from are Barnards Inn, City of London, Cliffords Inn, New Inn, and Paddington. I'm not sure whether it's the whole of Paddington or not, but there are some actual houses listed there. But the rest of it is mostly business premises. So I think their advert is rather overdoing it!