PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to think!

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 17:34
There's a marriage cert that I've been meaning to send for for quite a while but never quite got round to it. Well, the marriage has just turned up on the new ancestry databases and hasn't solved anything...so could I have your opinions please :)

(I'm doing alot of this from memory cos Ancestry is playing up for me at the mo)

My 2x great Grandfather, Frederick Lock, was born c1838. In 1841 he is living with Thomas and Elizabeth Lock in Ridge, Herts who look too old to be his parents and he is given as not being born in county. However, in every following census he says he was born in Ridge, Herts.

There is a baptism on the IGI for a William Frederick Nicholl Lock in 1838 in Ridge...mother Hannah Lock. Thomas and Elizabeth had a daughter called Hannah.

By 1861 Frederick has married a Susan/Susannah who was born in Lowestoft, SFK. There is a Susan/Susannah Hunton born at the right time in Suffolk, father Jonathan Hunton.

The marriage that has turned up on the London Marriages database is between Frederick Lock and Susan Hunton in 1858 at St John the Evangelist, Clapham. What's making me dither is that Frederick gives his father as being Thomas Lock, either knowingly or unknowingly.

Sooooo, what I'm asking of you is, how likely do you think that this marriage is my 2x great Grandparents?

Guinevere
17-09-09, 17:41
I'd say it's yours, Jeanette.

People often lied about fathers when they got married. I've seen it many times in PRs. He may well have believed it anyway.

Tell me more about the Lowestoft connection. :)

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 17:43
Oh my, do you have Huntons in Lowestoft Gwynne? To be honest, I haven't looked into them too deeply as I wasn't absolutely sure of the marriage

Joan of Archives
17-09-09, 17:45
There's a marriage cert that I've been meaning to send for for quite a while but never quite got round to it. Well, the marriage has just turned up on the new ancestry databases and hasn't solved anything...so could I have your opinions please :)

(I'm doing alot of this from memory cos Ancestry is playing up for me at the mo)

My 2x great Grandfather, Frederick Lock, was born c1838. In 1841 he is living with Thomas and Elizabeth Lock in Ridge, Herts who look too old to be his parents and he is given as not being born in county. However, in every following census he says he was born in Ridge, Herts.

There is a baptism on the IGI for a William Frederick Nicholl Lock in 1838 in Ridge...mother Hannah Lock. Thomas and Elizabeth had a daughter called Hannah.

By 1861 Frederick has married a Susan/Susannah who was born in Lowestoft, SFK. There is a Susan/Susannah Hunton born at the right time in Suffolk, father Jonathan Hunton.

The marriage that has turned up on the London Marriages database is between Frederick Lock and Susan Hunton in 1858 at St John the Evangelist, Clapham. What's making me dither is that Frederick gives his father as being Thomas Lock, either knowingly or unknowingly.

Sooooo, what I'm asking of you is, how likely do you think that this marriage is my 2x great Grandparents?

Could it be that Frederick was brought up by his grandparents & didn't know who his father was so put his grandfather's name on the cert ? I have got one similar to that in my tree.
:)

Joan of Archives
17-09-09, 17:46
Have you got Frederick's birth certificate? :rolleyes:

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 17:49
I can't see an appropriate registration Joanie. I'm thinking that if he was illegitimate, and being born just as registration came in, that he might not have been registered :rolleyes:

Plus that baptism gives him as William Frederick and not Frederick William. Howver, he did call one of his sons Frederick William but he was known as William :confused: ;( :d

Guinevere
17-09-09, 18:09
I don't have Huntons, Jeanette, sorry. But if you had her ancestors I'm betting we'd find a connection.

Many years ago I was walking through Lowestoft with my aunt and people kept saying hello to us. I'd ask who they were and often she'd say that's your gandfather's cousin's son, or something. One day I asked her if we were related to everyone in Lowestoft and she said we probably were if you went back far enough.

And most Lowestoft researchers I've been in touch with have a connection somewhere on the tree.

Joan of Archives
17-09-09, 18:12
I don't know if it is any help Jeanette but I could check that baptism when I go to Herts RO next time for you? :)

Merry
17-09-09, 18:14

Have you got a birth cert for one of their children? if you got that to confirm Susannah's surname you would know you had the right cert!

I think it would be quite normal for Frederick to name his grandfather as his father at the marriage. Either he just preferred to say that was the case, or he believed Thomas was his father.

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 18:15
So alot of interbreeding going on, eh? ;) *checks thumbs*

Well, I'm almost sure that these are my people on this marriage so it looks like I've got summat to get my teeth into tonight :D

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 18:17
Have you got a birth cert for one of their children? if you got that to confirm Susannah's surname you would know you had the right cert!

I think it would be quite normal for Frederick to name his grandfather as his father at the marriage. Either he just preferred to say that was the case, or he believed Thomas was his father.

Good point Merry! That's another of those certs I haven't got round to getting....but I will now. If I remember right, my great grandfather is mistranscribed as LUCK :rolleyes:

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 18:19
I don't know if it is any help Jeanette but I could check that baptism when I go to Herts RO next time for you? :)

Ooooo yes please Joanie! :D I wonder if the vicar has made a rude comment about the fact that he's illegitimate :d Besides which, I've often wondered how the father came to be named by his surname only :confused:

Joan of Archives
17-09-09, 18:49
OK Jeanette can you pm me the details or c & p your first post on here & pm it & I will make a note of it for you.

:)

Olde Crone
17-09-09, 19:00
A lot of my illegitimates (and I have a lot!) named the man who brought them up as their father on wedding certs. This was often a grandfather.

Imagine the scenario...Jack starts courting Jill, who "knows" (cos she's local) that Jack's dad is Fred Bloggs, a bit of an elderly father, but so what.

She assumes, as does everyone else in the district, that Fred is his dad and Jack isn't going to make the embarrassing explanation that he doesn't really know who his REAL dad is. Ergo, Fred Bloggs appears on Jack's mc as his father!

OC

Jeanette in Yorkshire
17-09-09, 19:32
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I will claim them as mine...but get a birth cert just to make sure ;)

Joanie...pm on the way

Joan of Archives
17-09-09, 20:20
OK Jeanette I will check when I go next.

I presume you've got Susan Hunton on the 1841 census? She is living with her father Jonathan in Suffolk & he was a bricklayer so that ties in nicely with the marriage cert. his occupation was a builder.

I don't know what they were doing in London though maybe they met on a day trip & got married lol! :d