PDA

View Full Version : Islington/St Pancras Burials

Phoenix
09-12-10, 17:31
Thanks to Muggins' link, I've been playing around and having great fun.

What is not clear, however, is just how much info is available.

It looks as if everyone I'm interested in is being piled into common graves with a dozen strangers, so I assume I don't need the grave details.

Do the burial details contain anything more than an ordinary burial register? Undertaker? Minister conducting service? Next of kin?

I could cheerfully spend a great deal of money, but only to find details not available elsewhere.

Merry
09-12-10, 17:46
Where can I find Muggins link? (coz I don't know what you are on about!!! lol)

ElizabethHerts
09-12-10, 17:55
Are you talking about the records on Deceased On Line where I found some people a few days ago?

I was trying to find burials for my son-in-law's family who were in St Pancras - I definitely found a couple but the jury is out on the others I found.

ElizabethHerts
09-12-10, 17:56
Aha!

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=816&page=3

ElizabethHerts
09-12-10, 18:02
For my Eliza Bond I had two entries to look at. One was the entry in the register, which was like a church burial page in columns, with the entries made chronoligcally. Just name, date of burial, address, minister.

The second contained details of the people in the grave with her, who were her immediate family:

Interment Details
Site London Borough of Camden
Cemetery Hampstead Cemetery
Grave reference L6/45
name
Date
Date of death
Top of Form 1
Sharp, Eliza Anne
22 Nov 1921
unrecorded

Bottom of Form 1
Top of Form 2
Sharp, John Harrison
13 Sep 1900
unrecorded

Bottom of Form 2
Top of Form 3
Bond, Eliza
24 Jul 1900
Unrecorded
Bottom of Form 3

Top of Form 4
Bond, Henry Willliam
02 Mar 1882
Unrecorded
Bottom of Form 4

You have to match the column headings to the information.

Phoenix
09-12-10, 18:07
Sorry for not making myself clearer!

Yes, Elizabeth, that's the baby!

Best mate's family have an unusual surname and I would love to find out more, but not if it's just an ordinary burial register.

Phoenix
09-12-10, 18:08
Hmm, thanks Elizabeth.

Everybody is buried with a different number of people, so I think they must all be in pauper graves.

kiterunner
09-12-10, 18:32
The Islington ones that I've been looking at only have 1 entry each - name, date of burial, age, residence or place of death, but not plot number. Apparently the records showing the plot number for those entries are going to be uploaded in the next couple of months.

Asa
10-12-10, 05:15
I've read this thread and the linked one with equal measures of excitement and horror - I have so many ancestors from Islington and Pancras. I did go there once to look through the books but the staff member we were dealing with made it very clear we were a total nuisance and so we only found a minimum, as expected mostly in communal graves. This is really going to be worth getting the card out for.

Merry
10-12-10, 05:54
Thanks for the link Elizabeth.

Are all the records on Deceased Online for cemeteries?

Asa
10-12-10, 08:04
Thank you. This is wonderful.