View Full Version : Deciphering required please

Rachel
16-09-09, 12:09
It's on Ancestry ~

London, England, Marriages and Banns 1754 - 1921

Elizabeth Brand Looker (b 1877)
Francis George Jennings

Married 1899 at All Saints, Fulham

Fathers' names ~ John Jennings (Draper) and Robert Brand Looker.
Think Robert's occupation begins with 'F' but I'm stuck with the rest of it

Also does it say deceased ? and I can't read the name of the street ~ 16 ???? Rd Fulham ;(

Joan of Archives
16-09-09, 12:17
Looks like 16 Minster Road Fulham, father Robert Brand Looker dec'd occupation either Farrier or Farmer?

Have you looked at previous census to see what his occupation was? :)

kiterunner
16-09-09, 12:18
His occupation is Farmer, and yes, it says decd. I think the address is 16 Munster Rd., Fulham (I've checked in the A-Z and it does exist!)

kiterunner
16-09-09, 12:18
Compare the m in farmer with the other m's on the page and you will see it is an m.

Georgette
16-09-09, 12:24
It looks like Robert is a farmer and that both fathers were deceased. And could the address be Lunster Rd?

Georgette
16-09-09, 12:25
Ooops! A bit slow, Munster looks very likely :)

Rachel
16-09-09, 12:36
Thanks Joan, Kite and Georgette :)
I'll try Google Street View later and see what it's like around there.

Does that say retired ~ after John Jennings' name ?

Joan this is the first time I've come across Elizabeth's father (great excitement) !
Her mother (Jane Looker) never married and I always assumed Eliza was given the second name, Brand, because it was her father's surname :confused: ~ so now we have another mystery to solve.

Elizabeth is not that close an ancestor so I've not gone for a birth cert

Merry
16-09-09, 13:21
Does that say retired ~ after John Jennings' name ?

Joan this is the first time I've come across Elizabeth's father (great excitement) !
Her mother (Jane Looker) never married and I always assumed Eliza was given the second name, Brand, because it was her father's surname :confused: ~ so now we have another mystery to solve.

I think it says dec'd after John Jennings name.

Isn't it likely that Elizabeth's father's name was Robert Brand, but the word Looker was added by the vicar who made an assumption about the marital status of Elizabeth's parents!

Rachel
16-09-09, 13:38
Thanks Merry
I do wonder if Robert was entirely made up ~ is that another possibility ?

Merry
16-09-09, 13:52
Did I see Eliza(beth) was born in Chelsea? No farmers called Robert brand in the area in 1881 but I suppose we don't know where she was conceived!

Where did Jane originate from?

Farmer could well mean ag lab lol!!

Rachel
16-09-09, 14:13
Jane and her siblings were all born in Scotland and moved to England after the 1871 census.
I've looked for Robert in Scotland and England but there's nothing to go on ~ he must have been alive in 1871 but could have died before the next census

vallee
16-09-09, 15:24
it is Munster Road in Fulham my husband used to live right near there Rachel

Rachel
16-09-09, 16:21
it is Munster Road in Fulham my husband used to live right near there Rachel

That's interesting ~ shame there's a slight time gap !

Goodness I just looked at google maps ~ it's near Cristowe Rd