PDA

View Full Version : Mary Langford (Week 6 - MMFMM)

Merry
03-12-10, 13:59
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

Mary Langford

Date and place of birth

About 1775, not in Hertfordshire!

Names of parents

Unknown

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

To James Smith (a tailor) at St Mary's, Standon, Hertfordshire 21st Feb 1800

Occupation(s) - if any

Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

In an around Standon until 1841.

Not found in 1851

Date, place and cause of death

13th April 1860 at Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire of old age (not certified)

Date and place of burial.

April 1860 at Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

None

Memorial inscription - if any

In memory of
James Smith who died
July 5th 1859 aged 89 years
Also of Mary his wife
who died April 13th 1860
aged 85 years

kiterunner
03-12-10, 14:40
Do you know where James was born? Might give us something to start with when looking for them in 1851.

Merry
04-12-10, 08:37
Erm, "In Herts" lol!!

There is a massive prize for anyone who can find them in 1851 :D

The only other tiny clue I have is that I have the will (PCC) of a Wm Smith who was also a tailor from Standon and was similar in age to James (died in 1838). He mentioned money (a legacy?) he received from his father and dad's name was John Smith. If John made a will and left money to TWO sons who were tailors, then it would be nice to find that will as it might give some clues. Erm....then the trail goes cold.

ElizabethHerts kindly looked at possible baptisms for the children of James and Mary, but it's so difficult to be sure everything ties up. I don't have the details in front of me right now, but they had two known daughters (Catherine and Jane) and one son (Edward) all of whom ended up in Whittlesford. Catherine and Jane married brothers, Nathan and Robert Maynard. Edward would have been bap during a period Herts RO don't have indexed records (1814ish from memory). Jane couldn't be found and Catherine is very vague about her age (she is my ancestor! :rolleyes:) and there is a bap, but is it her? Unfortunately this bap is before they wanted father's occ! I guess there are other children, but I've only been able to identify the three who turn up in Whittlesford.