PDA

View Full Version : Take one 3xG-Grandparent week 5 26 Nov - 2 Dec 2010

kiterunner
26-11-10, 08:35
This week, we are focussing on your father's father's mother's father's father.

If you want to take part, just start a new thread on this board and put your 3x-great-grandfather's name in the Title. If you don't know his name then put whatever you like in the title!

Copy the following form and fill in the answers that you already have, then over the course of the next week you try to fill in the blanks and everyone else helps you. If you're lucky enough to have all the information already, then you can still post it up if you want, so that search engines can pick it up.

Can you fill in all of the following information about that person:

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Date and place of birth
Names of parents
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Occupation(s) - if any
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Adoptive or step-3x-great-grandparents welcome! Also you may post up threads for both your own ancestor and your OH's ancestor.

Nell
26-11-10, 19:46
My father's father's mother was illegitimate, so I don't know her father or her father's father's names!

A

Babel
02-12-10, 19:53
My father's father's mother was illegitimate, so I don't know her father or her father's father's names!

A

Well, my father was illigitimate and doesn't have a father on his birth certificate. Can't go back very far in that direction!!! All I know is he was an American GI over here in the War. That narrows it down to several thousand. :)

kiterunner
02-12-10, 20:02
If your father is still alive and wants to try to trace his father, he could try one of the Y-chromosome DNA databases, and it might give him a possible surname, although of course very unlikely to find a close relative.

maggie_4_7
02-12-10, 20:15
Well, my father was illigitimate and doesn't have a father on his birth certificate. Can't go back very far in that direction!!! All I know is he was an American GI over here in the War. That narrows it down to several thousand. :)

Does he have any clue i.e. a name or anything or even an area of the States he came from or the base he was on in Britain. Where was your father born?

You'd be surprised what you can find when you glean the facts, times and places.

By the way it wasn't several thousand it was hundreds of thousands of GIs but there weren't that many bases the GIs were on unless your father was conceived in London - GI travelled in you could probably work it out.

Where was your father's birth registered?

Babel
02-12-10, 20:38
My dad was born in Hammersmith, London. He thinks the GI's name was Bernard (he was told long long ago as a child, so it might not be right)... However, the surname is up in the air, though it could possibly be Smith or Smythe or something like that.