PDA

View Full Version : I am completely lost in Yorkshire.

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 08:28
I have George Naylor marrying Elizabeth Eyre.
14th May 1795, Birstall, Yorkshire. (FamilySearch extracted).

Their two children, George and Elizabeth, (1796 and 1797) were baptised at Cleckheaton Congregational, Yorkshire.

George senior died 10th Feb 1806 aged 67. I have his will and I don't think there were any earlier marriages, or if there were, no other children. Elizabeth Eyre had no other children with her either.

A snippet in Google books has the marriage with "Elizabeth Eyre, daughter of a merchant of this town." Don't know which town exactly.

George Naylor's will names a grandson of his brother, and his sister.

Can anyone tell me where and how I go back further. There must be hundreds of Naylors and Eyres in Yorkshire. I can't find many online records at all. The Family Search Record Search doesn't even bring up the marriage.

Thanks.

kiterunner
18-11-10, 08:53
Hmm, I can get their marriage on the pilot site just by typing in their names! It doesn't give any more info than you got from the IGI, though. I'll see if I can find anything...

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 08:55
Kite....was that the Beta site??? I tried the other one.

kiterunner
18-11-10, 09:04
No, it was the "other one".

I can't get your Google books snippet to come up, though!

kiterunner
18-11-10, 09:08
Okay, I would suggest you get a copy of the marriage entry from the PR's to see the names of the witnesses.

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 09:09
Here it is..

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=UTMSAAAAIAAJ&q=george+naylor+cleckheaton&dq=george+naylor+cleckheaton&hl=en&ei=P_PkTML1GoiivgO1wbHJDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=10&ved=0CFUQ6wEwCQ

Only a snippit though.

I know Myles Ariel (sorry) was wearing a ring with his grandmother's Eyre crest on it when he went missing in the 1850s here. His grandmother was George naylor's wife.

Names in the will of George Naylor are......Linfitt, Fotherby, Horner, Robinson, Pogmore. I haven't found any on FamilySearch with a connection to either Eyre or Naylor.

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 09:11
Would that be through LDS???

They married by licence and that is at Borthwick, but they can't work how I get it......lol

Well, they've twice said they would get back to me with how to get it. Not sure how much would be on it anyway.

Durham Lady
18-11-10, 09:25
Libby, I think she would have been from the town of Kirkstall, that's a place north west of Leeds.
Kirkstall Abbey was a medieval Cistercian abbey a couple of miles from the town of Kirkstall. It's a beautiful ruin now though.

kiterunner
18-11-10, 09:26
I didn't mean the licence, though that might help, I meant the actual parish register entry. I would have thought the LDS would have it but I'm not sure looking at their catalogue entry for Birstall church records - there are so many different chapels and churches! Maybe someone can look it up for you at the record office?

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 09:34
I will ring them tomorrow Kite. Last time I asked they rang back after checking and said they couldn't get it. Maybe things have changed.

The will give stack of names but they are mostly married females. A lot are his sisters in law, however I'm bushed if I can find any female Naylors (or Eyres) marrying into those names.

Thanks anyway..

kiterunner
18-11-10, 09:45
Sorry, I meant maybe one of our members could go to the record office and look it up!

Merry
18-11-10, 10:11
George Naylor's will names a grandson of his brother, and his sister.

Who were they and when was George's will dated?

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 12:21
I've been trying to extract a bit more information from the Google book snippet; the page number is 79, and the heading on that page is "Extracts from the Leeds Intelligencer, 1795", so I would guess that "of this town" means from Leeds.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=1CblTMSQH5DysgapsvmkCw&ct=result&id=yZhnAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22george+naylor%22+%22merchant+of+this+town%22&q=leeds+%22george+naylor%22+#search_anchor

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 12:26
These are the other marriages referred to in the cutting, in case you want to check out Ann Newsom's brother John and Thomas Shaw. both of whom were "of this town":

IGI (extracted):

JAMES HAMILTON
Male

Event(s):
Marriages:
Spouse: ANN NEWSAM
Marriage: 13 MAY 1795 Calverley, Yorkshire, England

IGI (submitted):

ELLEN HOLT
Female

Event(s):
Marriages:
Spouse: THOMAS SHAW
Marriage: 14 MAY 1795 Rochdale, Lancashire, England

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 12:48
There are one or two land transactions on TNA involving what looks like your George; I think you may already have them, though.

Bond for performance DD4/18/254 9 Mar 1791

These documents are held at Yorkshire Archaeological Society

Contents:
Jeremiah Carter of Pudsey, parish Calverley, woolstapler and George Naylor of Wakefield, woolstapler are bound to Rt. Hon Thomas Lord Grey de Wilton in penal sum of £135 etc
Re piece or parcel of land as staked out, 2R 28P - position given - in Dewsbury, Aldams close

Lease and mortgage relating to land at Whitley DDCL/2822 21-22 May 1779

These documents are held at East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service

1 Item

Contents:
Parties: 1) Jonathan Crosley of New Laiths, maltster and Alice his wife (a daughter of Anthony Beaumont) 2) George Naylor of Wakefield, woodstapler
Property: half part of barn, Spofard Garth, The Ing, four Bateman Closes, Intack, two Whitefield Closes, Pollack Close and the two closes adjoining the Whitefield containing 88 acres at Whitley
Consideration: £400
Witnesses: John Bayldon and James Baildon

Lease and mortgage relating to land as described in DDCL/2822 DDCL/2825 25-26 May 1786

These documents are held at East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service

1 Item

Contents:
Parties: 1) George Naylor, Jonathan Crosley and Alice his wife 2) Robert Foster of Notton, yeoman
Property: land as described in DDCL/2822
Consideration: £400
Witnesses: Jonas Clarke, Joseph Bedford, Joseph Hudson and Henry Shimeld

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 14:13
Hope it's OK to link to this old thread of Libby's on another site, which contains some information that may be relevant:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/56905-Further-to-my-Yorkshire-thread.

The Hartshead PRs are online, and I found the marriage of William Naylor to Isabel Crosley. William came from Birstall, so he could have been George's brother, although I think Naylor and Crosley are fairly common Yorkshire names. I should think he's worth investigating, at least.

http://www.archive.org/stream/publications17yorkuoft#page/192/mode/2up/search/crosley

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 15:10
Do you have this will?

Online Document IR 26/430

Will of Thomas Naylor Blanket maker Heckmondwike in the parish of Birstall, Yorkshire . Proved in the Court of York.
Date: 1808

I'm wondering if it's the brother Thomas named in George's will.

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 15:17
On the old thread I found this marriage notice:

Married: At Leeds ... Mr Naylor of Cleckheaton, woolstapler, to Miss Armitage of Woodhouse Hill.

I've now found the marriage on familysearch record search:

Richard Naylor
spouse: Elizabeth Armitage
marriage: 02 Jun 1800 — Saint Peter, Leeds, York, England

so again, Richard might or might not be a brother of George's (as Cleckheaton is very near Birstall). He's not mentioned in George's will (which went to probate in 1806) if I remember rightly, but he could have died before it was written.

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 15:26
The parish register of Birstall (1724-1759) is on Google books (snippet view only); George would have been born about 1739, but I'm not getting any hits for a baptism there or on the IGI, where Birstall has been transcribed.

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 18:36
Wow, Mary..............I have no idea how you find those things....

George Naylor's will proved at London 31st May 1806. He died feb 1806.

Those named....

Johannah Linfitt (my sister in law)

Joshua Naylor (younger son of my LATE brother Thomas)

Thomas Naylor of Sheffield (the will says "his grandson", so that is the brother Thomas' grandson).

Sarah Pogmore (my late sister, late of Sheffield)

Children of my said sister Linfitt (note earlier he says sister in law)

My late brother in law Benjamin Robinson of Measborough

Joseph Horner of Wakefield (baker)

William Linfitt (woolstapler) of York.

Minister of the Independent Chapel of Clayton.

My brother in law Joshua Robinson late of Measborough.

My cousins, Ann Priestly, Sarah Fotherby, Ann "Roafitt" (not sure of that but doesn't look like Linfitt)

He then appoints his wife, Elizabeth and Samuel Thompson, (woolstapler of Wakefield, the gaurdian of his daughter. Obviously his son had died prior to this.

It was written 29th July 1805.

Ancestry has a tree with a Johanna ROBINSON marrying a William LINFITT. I can't work how they would fit but they must. I've emailed the tree owner.

kiterunner
18-11-10, 18:55
You probably already know that "cousin" might just mean "relative of some kind or wife's relative of some kind".

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 18:58
Yes Kite.......I thought of that. I just can't find many records at all online for this area and time so I'm playing with all ideas....lol

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 19:27
And "sister" is commonly used to mean "sister-in-law".

HarrysMum
18-11-10, 19:36
Thanks Mary.......I thought that would be the case.

That Robinson /Linfitt lot are getting to me......I'm off to see what I can dig up....lol

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 19:36
Ancestry has a tree with a Johanna ROBINSON marrying a William LINFITT. I can't work how they would fit but they must.

This is a submitted entry from the IGI:

William LINFITT
Male

Event(s):
Birth: About 1738 Of Melton, , Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 23 FEB 1803
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: Johannah ROBINSON
Marriage: 25 AUG 1761 Wath Upon Dearne, Yorkshire, England

If this is the same William and Johanna, William died before George Naylor wrote his will. Maybe the William mentioned in the will was William and Johanna's son?

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 19:47
The marriage has been transcribed:

http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofwathu00wath#page/256/mode/2up/search/1761

Unfortunately it doesn't give her marital status (I wondered if she was the widow of a Naylor) or the parties' abodes. The licence might have more information if you can get hold of it.

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 20:02
According to the Ancestry tree you found, the Johanna Robinson who married William Linfitt in 1761 died in Wath upon Dearne 1766, but was still having children till 1772...

There's no burial for her in the register that year, but there are burials in 1766 for two children of William Linfit: Sarah and John.

Mary from Italy
18-11-10, 20:25
The transcription of the Wath upon Dearne PRs is also on Ancestry, and a bit easier to search than the register I linked to above:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=epr_Yorkshir%2c&rank=0&gsfn=&gsln=linfit*&sx=&=%2c%2c1%2c+%2c%2c%2c1%2c+&gs1co=3251%2cEngland&gs1pl=5292%2cYorkshire&year=&yearend=&sbo=0&sbor=&srchb=r&prox=1&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&gl=&gst=&hc=20&fh=20&fsk=CIAAF14ACzuy&pgoff=1

Judging by one of the baptism entries, it looks as though the William who marrired Johanna was a cordwainer.