PDA

View Full Version : Cheany/Cheney family

hobbes
16-11-10, 07:50
I'm looking for help researching the Cheany family. I have an Elizabeth Cheany (born ~ 1776) who married Richard Finbow. They are listed on the 1841 and 51 census for Gosbeck alongside some other Cheany's. There is a JOhn born ~ 1771 who could be her brother?

But I can't get a link back further - any ideas?

Thanks

kiterunner
16-11-10, 08:11
So this is them in 1841:

Gosbeck, Suffolk:

Richard Pinbow 65 Ag Lab Y
Elizabeth do 65 Y
John Do 30 Ag Lab Y
David Do 20 Ag Lab Y
Rachel Do 18 FS Y
--
William Cheany 35 Ag Lab Y
Sarah Do 35 Y
Ellen Avis 12 Y
----
William Hammond 45 Ag Lab Y
Elizabeth do 45 Y
John Do 12 Y
Samuel Do 10 Y
George Do 6 Y
----
Robert Cheany 30 Ag Lab Y
Harriett Do 25 Y
Robert Do 4 Y
Harriett Do 2 Y
-----
John Cheany 70 Ag Lab Y
Mary do 70 Y

Then in 1851 at Potash Cottage, Gosbeck, Suffolk:
Richard Phinbow Head Mar 74 Labourer Suffolk Mendlesham
Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 75 Do Bedingfield
Ann Do Daur-in-law Widow 33 Labourer Widow Do Coombs
Rachel Do Grand Daur 8 Scholar Do Crowfield
Jonathan Do Do Son 6 Scholar Do Do
----
William Cheany Head Mar 45 Labourer Do Gosbeck
Sarah Do Wife Mar 47 Do Hemingstone.

And at Ash Meadow Cottage, Gosbeck:
Robert Cheany Head Mar 45
Harriet Cheany Wife Mar 36 Ag Labourer's Wife Suffolk Stradbrooke
Robert Do Son U 13 Ag Lab Do Barham
Harriet Do Daur 11 Scholar Do Gosbeck
John Do Son 6 Scholar Do Do

As you no doubt already know, a lot of Suffolk stuff isn't online, so it might be a case where you need lookups at the record office, but I'll see if I can find anything online.

kiterunner
16-11-10, 08:32
Hmmm, I see that the Finbow children are in the non-conformist registers and listed as Baptists, so it could be that the Cheany family were Baptists too? I haven't found anything online but maybe someone else can, or you might need to go and look at Bedingfield parish registers (the Family History Library Catalog lists transcripts 1538-1935 so you should be able to order those to a Family History Centre) and if you have no luck with those, find out what Baptist records are available.

hobbes
18-11-10, 06:23
Yes that's them in the Gosbeck 1841 and 1851 census. I'm summising that John Cheany could be a brother/cousin to Elizabeth. I have bound baptisms for the Finbows in the non-conformist church in Otley, but still no records for the Cheany's. Although I suppose that could be inordinate amounts of spelling transcription problems.
What is the Family History Library Catalog - is that like the Vital records?

kiterunner
18-11-10, 07:38
No, it shows what records they have available on microfilm at the Family History Library. What I was trying to say is that it doesn't look as though Bedingfield parish registers are online for the dates you would need to look at, so you would need to look at the parish registers or get someone to look at them for you. If you can get to a Family History Centre then you should be able to order a copy of the microfilm there.