PDA

View Full Version : Missing census..

HarrysMum
15-11-10, 07:58
Is it the 1851 census that some missing bits???

If so, are they in Lancashire???

If not, if someone was born in Oldham on FreeBMD would that be what would have been put on the census??

Or....would a smaller place (like a suburb) be used for POB???

I'm looking for people who were born Oldham on FreeBMD but there dosen't seem to be that many on the 1851.

Olde Crone
15-11-10, 08:03
Yes, lots of Lancashire stuff missing from the 1851 (the wet census). My 2 x GGF is in the wet bit, Ardwick I suspect.

The Lancashire FHS has transcribed the wet census and managed to recreate about 80% of it (I think, from memory) but my bit isn't in the bit they restored. The restored stuff is available to view (ppv) on a site...ummmm, which one I cannot remember, I'll have a dig about.

OC

HarrysMum
15-11-10, 08:04
Thanks OC.......at least that gives me some relief that I'm not completely mad......lol....yet!!

Phoenix
15-11-10, 08:06
Find My Past has six pages of Smiths born Oldham in 1851.

It was a registration district as well as a place, so quite important even then.

HarrysMum
15-11-10, 08:07
Thanks Phoenix.

kiterunner
15-11-10, 08:47
Yes, the missing pages are on findmypast.

Gert in Oz
15-11-10, 09:10
Have a look on here too Libby,

http://www.1851-unfilmed.org.uk/1851search.htm

Olde Crone
15-11-10, 09:11
Ah right, it wasn't on FMP when I looked at it, it was another smaller site.

OC

Merry
15-11-10, 10:18
If not, if someone was born in Oldham on FreeBMD would that be what would have been put on the census??

Oldham district includes these places (1848 -): Alkrington, Chadderton, Crompton, Middleton, Oldham, Royton, Thornham and Tonge.

Mary from Italy
15-11-10, 20:05
Ah right, it wasn't on FMP when I looked at it, it was another smaller site.

OC

It used to be on FamilyHistoryOnline, but most of their databases were taken over by FMP.

Merry
15-11-10, 20:09
I've been trying to remember that name all day, Mary! :)

Olde Crone
15-11-10, 22:13
Oh, thankyou Mary - I've been telling myself it was British History online, lol, even though I knew it wasn't!

OC

Mary from Italy
16-11-10, 12:28
The list of FHOL databases is still online, and I find it easier to consult than the FMP index. There are also some databases that FMP didn't acquire, presumably because the local FHS didn't agree. For example, FMP has no PRs whatever for Leicestershire.

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/database/index.shtml

kiterunner
24-11-10, 12:31
Ancestry say they now have those pages - does anyone know a name to look for so we can check it out, please?

Mary from Italy
25-11-10, 11:22
I've just tried it out on one of my families, and it works; I already had the transcription for my 3xG-grandparents James and Lydia Grimshaw and family, done by the Lancs FHS, but I'd never seen the image.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=30859_A008134-00186&fn=Lydia&ln=Grimshaw&st=d&ssrc=&pid=36353142

I'm curious to know how the FHS did the transcriptions, because there are some names on that page that are completely invisible, yet they've transcribed them, and others that they seem to have got wrong.

For example, there's someone with the surname Noon; they've added the Christian name Catherine, but there's nothing visible. The next person's transcribed as Catherine ..stress, whereas it looks like Bishop, with an invisible Christian name.

So anyone who's been relying on the transcriptions might do well to check the images.

Uncle John
25-11-10, 11:46
I think they use all sorts of techniques such as UV light, to capture whatever is left of the image even if it's not visible to the eye.

Mary from Italy
25-11-10, 12:19
Forgot to mention one important thing; if I put "Manchester" as the parish of birth for my people, I got no hits, although their birthplace is shown as Manchester on the Ancestry image and transcription. It only worked if I put "Manchester" in the keyword box or "Lancashire" under county of birth and left the parish blank.