PDA

View Full Version : London Metropolitan Archive records - ancestry

kiterunner
15-09-09, 07:18
I know what I'll be spending the rest of today doing - and the rest of the week!

kiterunner
15-09-09, 07:34
I didn't realise at first that one of the two new databases, the marriage / banns one, is actually name indexed. Probably best to start with that one for some quick results!

kiterunner
15-09-09, 07:47
Hmmm, I was hoping to find Robert Bristow's marriage to Elizabeth around 1765 straight off, but I can't see it. Bother! I can see lots of my Bristows in there though...

Langley Vale Sue
15-09-09, 08:20
Boo Hoo ;(
My membership level won't let me access the details ;(

Merry
15-09-09, 08:40
It's possible you won't see me for about a fortnight!! Now I have the actual entry images for some of my most difficult brickwalls and can see that a little batch of family members were witnesses at these marriages, at least I think that proves I am looking at the right entries (unusual names for witnesses) eve if my walls are still standing!

kiterunner
15-09-09, 08:44
Yes, the first one I've looked at has 4 witnesses and I recognise one as a "friend" appointed as executor in a will, so I'm now wondering if he'll turn out to be a brother-in-law or something. One of the names I don't recognise at all, so that should keep me busy. The problem is going to be making sure to note everything down in my tree, not just keep skipping from one person to the next.

Georgette
15-09-09, 09:25
I can't find any records for St Martin in the Fields in the baptisms, marriages and burials, can anyone else? :o

kiterunner
15-09-09, 09:30
No, can't see it in there, sorry.

Georgette
15-09-09, 09:31
*weeps gently*

kiterunner
15-09-09, 10:23
Just broken down a brick wall! Francis Freemantle married Isabella Buie 1st Sept 1765! Is there really such a surname as Buie? It really does look like it.

kiterunner
15-09-09, 10:24
Ooh, seems to be a Scottish name.

Terri
15-09-09, 14:42
Boo Hoo ;(

Snap! ;(:(

WendyPusey
15-09-09, 16:52
Boo Hoo ;(

Me neither.;(;(;(

samesizedfeet
15-09-09, 18:13
I'm having trouble getting complete images to load.

Can someone who has access check out the marriage of Sarah Linkson to Robert Tilbury on 26 Jun 1824 at St Mary Islington.

When I view the image I'm only getting 3/4 of the page going down and about 2/3 across - so I can't see the names of the witnesses on Sarah's marriage which would help me figure out which Sarah Linkson she might be

kiterunner
15-09-09, 18:27
I'm on the laptop at the moment so I don't think it'll load for me, but someone who had a similar problem earlier switched to the enhanced image viewer and that fixed it.

samesizedfeet
15-09-09, 18:29
Is the enhanced image viewer in the "OPtions" bit at the top of the image where you can choose high uality and low quality images? or is that something different.

I'm going to try switching to safari in case that helps

kiterunner
15-09-09, 18:32
Yes, it's in the options bit, but it's not the same as the quality of image.

samesizedfeet
15-09-09, 18:38
Ach - enhanced viewer isn't available on a Mac. So looks like all the images are going to be chopped in half for me

Georgette
15-09-09, 18:49
I've had a look, Zoe and the witnesses are Robert Linkson and Elizabeth Field.

samesizedfeet
15-09-09, 18:59
Hmmmm, Cheers Georgette.

Still none the wiser as I've now realised I don't even have a Sarah Linkson born that early. All the London Linksons are mine though so I've made a BooBoo somewhere along the line.

Gonna take this over to research..........

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
15-09-09, 19:17
I dont have any of my surnames in London at the time of these records, shame

kiterunner
16-09-09, 08:10
Two of the other LMA databases have been updated today, not sure how much has been added but worth a look:

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1558&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0)

London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1559&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0)

kiterunner
16-09-09, 09:50
D'oh - why has it taken me this long to realise I can add the links to those LMA databases to my "Quick Links" on ancestry?!

Georgette
16-09-09, 10:02
I only discovered that last week too, Kate :d It's very handy :cool:

kiterunner
16-09-09, 11:43
Wow, I'm finding out where lots of my London ancestors are buried. I thought they would all be in municipal cemeteries, but I'm finding lots who were buried in churchyards.

vallee
16-09-09, 21:52
isnt it wonderful ??? saved a fortune on certs today and knocked down a couple of walls YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Joan of Archives
16-09-09, 22:03
Me too Val I am very happy! I have the marriage of my 6 x g grandparents printed off & all their signatures, fantastic!!! 1772 ! What a result :rolleyes::d

borobabs
16-09-09, 22:51
Sob dont have any London names to look for lol

vallee
16-09-09, 22:55
wow Joan thats great isnt it ??? reminds myself to stop saying wow
thats a shame Babs

Val in Oz
17-09-09, 09:53
A quick question - - will I be able to access all this info if I change over to the middle sub when my renewal comes up? (I don't really need the World Sub)

Terri
17-09-09, 11:30
A quick question - - will I be able to access all this info if I change over to the middle sub when my renewal comes up? (I don't really need the World Sub)

Was going to ask much the same thing - what level of membership do you need to access these records?

I have Heritage membership - doesn't seem to exist any more! :d

kiterunner
17-09-09, 16:22
If you click to view one of the records, it should come up with an "upgrade" button and if you click on it, it should tell you what options there are. Or you could contact ancestry and ask them? I'm not sure exactly what subs they offer at the moment, sorry.

Michael
18-09-09, 13:55
Thanks for the heads up - my Holmes were from St Lawrence Jewry in the City, I'll have to have a look once I rejoin Ancestry (I figured it wasn't worth bothering while I don't have web access at home!).

Nell
19-09-09, 11:20
It's fantastic!!!

You can search for marriages by putting in father's name. Found a 2nd marriage that way when the bride had a surname for a marriage I hadn't been able to definitely say was her!

The witnesses in some cases have confirmed its the right wedding.

Like a child at Christmas!!!!

WendyPusey
19-09-09, 12:04
I couldn't resist it any longer and upgraded my sub on Ancestry.:o:d

Have found loads of info and have already saved on all the Marriage certificates I don't need to buy now. It's fantastic. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!!!!!:d:d:d

maggie_4_7
19-09-09, 12:10
Ditto

I have found a load of stuff, baptisms, marriages, burials, deaths. But it has thrown up a few questions too, some assumptions I made, only a few, I believe are wrong. I will have to go back over my documentation and connect again.

Lynn the Forest Fan
19-09-09, 12:35
I think I am probably going to have to take the plunge & get a months sub. I was just having a quick look to see what they had & found my grandad's baptism!

maggie_4_7
19-09-09, 12:38
Go for it.

It'll save you time and money in the future.

What took 20 visits to LMA when I would find a few marriages, and some baptisms over that period all labour intensive.

I have found 10 times that much in the last 48 hours.

Although I still think it necessary to go to parish registers and the LMA and Kew generally to that stuff because thats good too. Except now it will be less hit and miss.

Lynn the Forest Fan
19-09-09, 22:58
Well I took the plunge & got 2 weeks free trial, after which, I will probably pay for another month. It is like being a child in a sweetie shop, I have found so many marriages, some which I had details of & other which I hadn't. Then there is my grandad's baptism & that of his sister. I will certainly get my money's worth!