PDA

View Full Version : Haslemere transcriptions on line

ElizabethHerts
14-11-10, 14:14
I am having fun with transcriptions of some of the Haslemere parish registers, available on line.

http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofhasle57hasl#page/149/mode/1up

I think the baptism at the bottom of this page is my ancestor - Catherine Hussey who married Stephen Harding.

The place "Frinsom" appears frequently in the registers.
I assume they mean "Frensham", which makes sense. A lot of the families from Frensham and Linchmere seem to have had their children baptised here or have married here. I have found quite a few of my Stilwells and Hardings so far.

Can I confidently assume Frinsom is Frensham?

Phoenix
14-11-10, 14:20
Look at page 346 - index locorum.

ElizabethHerts
14-11-10, 14:34
Phoenix, many thanks for your sharp eyes! I hadn't got to that page as I had been using the search facility for my surnames. :)

Phoenix
14-11-10, 14:46
Actually, I was looking for the index for some surnames of my own!:o

Interestingly, I've found a surname with an alias which is also in Hants, so thanks for the link.

ElizabethHerts
14-11-10, 15:10
I'm on a roll with this - it's enabled me to go back another 2 generations with one of my lines, then I found a marriage license for Israel Hussey and Joan Chitty for 1720!

It is particularly difficult because I have the same families who use Frensham church (Surrey), Haslemere church (Surrey), Linchmere church (Sussex) and Headley and Bramshott churches (Hampshire)!

Phoenix
14-11-10, 16:24
It's like the Bermuda triangle there. I'm fairly sure that "my" Hedgers originate from there - but I can't prove it. And on another line, my Petersfield families seemingly never married - until I realised that Sussex & Surrey were only a parish away.

ElizabethHerts
14-11-10, 16:48
It's like the Bermuda triangle there. I'm fairly sure that "my" Hedgers originate from there - but I can't prove it. And on another line, my Petersfield families seemingly never married - until I realised that Sussex & Surrey were only a parish away.

LOL! The Bermuda triangle is a good description!

A good number of my mother's family come from Guildford down deep into Sussex and across into Hampshire. A hard core of them live on the boundary of three counties.

This map is quite useful and I have an even better one somewhere!

http://www.sfhg.org.uk/ssxmap1.html

Phoenix
14-11-10, 18:17
That's an excellent map!

tenterfieldjulie
14-11-10, 20:01
A great map Elizabeth, Harting, in proportion to the others, is much larger than I thought.
I stayed at Langrish house in Hampshire then friends from Sussex took me to Harting (lots more pics). Then they took me to two wonderful little, very old churchs. Unless you had local knowledge, I don't think you would find them, especially the one at Marden and also St. Andrews at Didling. One of them has no electricity and the locals walk through the fields to church. I have photos if anyone has ancestors in these areas.