PDA

View Full Version : Is this a debtors prison?

Durham Lady
12-11-10, 14:28
While researching my OH's maternal family and looking for the DODSWORTH family, who were originally from Lincolnshire but ended up in the Mexborough area of Yorkshire, I came across a Richardson DODSWORTH on the 1841 census, occuptation joiner which seems to have been a family trade. Richardson was at York Castle.
Could someone with Ancestry look and tell me if this was a debtors prison please?
I think I've added the link correctly.

http://search.ancestry.ca/Browse/View.aspx?dbid=8978&path=Yorkshire.York+Castle.ALL.York+Castle.5

kiterunner
12-11-10, 14:50
Your link goes to Canadian ancestry, but anyway, it looks as though they had criminals and debtors in the same prison. The first page has Governor, Deputy, Turnkeys, Watchman, Porter, Cooks, Schoolmaster, Matron, Teacher, Servants, then Criminal Prisoners, then on the next page there are more Criminal Prisoners and eventually it gets to Debtors, and Richardson Dodsworth is listed as a Debtor.

Durham Lady
12-11-10, 15:10
Thanks Kite, Oh yes I forgot I have my subscription from Ancestry CA, I got a good discount last year from them:d
I suspected that it was a prison covering both. He's with his wife in Mexborough in 1851 living next door to a daughter and his son in law who seems to own the houses in the street which he's given his surname too, so, it looks like Richardson did ok in later years.