PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a marriage in Derbyshire

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 14:56
Good Afternoon

I am trying to locate the marriage of my great x 4 grandparents, Matthew Cutts and Faith (surname presently unknown). I believe this will be in Derbyshire but as my knowledge of this area is sketchy, I hope someone with some local knowledge will be able to point me in the right direction.

Their first child was my great x 3 grandmother, Ann Cutts who was baptised in Chesterfield in 1823. Their next child was also baptised in Chesterfield. The family then moved to Sheffield where they remained. On census, Matthew says he is born Clay Cross and Faith is born Chesterfield.

I thought Chesterfield would be the likely place for marriage but someone did a look up for me a while back and said it didnt take place there.

Would anyone know if Clay Cross is near Chesterfield and other possible parish chuches I could try?

Many thanks

Merry
11-11-10, 15:27
Would anyone know if Clay Cross is near Chesterfield

About five miles south of Chesterfield.

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 15:30
thanks for that Merry, so not too far away.

Merry
11-11-10, 15:30
OH says Clay Cross is (was?) in the parish of Wingfield, but I don't have time to check. Have a look on Genuki!

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 15:36
thanks Merry, will take a look :)

kiterunner
11-11-10, 15:50
If you get a birth certificate for their daughter Faith (or any other of their children whose birth was registered?) it will tell you Faith senior's maiden name.

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 15:57
I think there was only daughter Faith who was born after registration started. I was hoping to find the marriage and Faith senior's surname without getting Faith junior's birth cert (money's tight and she isnt my direct ancestor); however, I realise it might be my only option.

kiterunner
11-11-10, 16:00
I was hoping the mother's maiden name would be on Sheffield BMD, but it wasn't.

kiterunner
11-11-10, 16:04
Ooh, found it - I had the idea of searching for Faith from Chesterfield on the FamilySearch pilot site, and up it came:
Faith Cockayne married Matthew Coults 8 July 1822 Chesterfield. It doesn't say what church though, unless there's another record with it on. Hopefully the main church!

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 16:39
oh wow, thanks so much Kite....so much appreciated :D

I will read up, think there is only the main parish church but cant be sure.

kiterunner
11-11-10, 17:14
I wonder if the actual register says Coutts and it has been misread as Coults.

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 17:29
thats highly probable. I hadnt thought of the variables for the surname of Matthew. I will see where the Chesterfield parish records are held and email them to see if they are willing to check the actual record for me.

Merry
11-11-10, 17:53
Is this her then?

Name: Faith Cockayne
Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Oct 1801
Baptism/Christening Place: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Faith Cockayne
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I06557-2
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1752142
Reference Number:
Collection: null

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 18:08
its highly likely to be her Merry. She was born 1798c if her ages given at census and burial were correct. She says she was born Chesterfield on all the census whilst she was alive.

I presume this would suggest she is likely to be illegitimate :(

BlueSavannah
11-11-10, 18:19
mmm....there is a marriage in Chesterfield of a George Cockayne to a Faith Walker on the 14th Feb 1792. I wonder if this Faith is my Faith's mother?

Merry
11-11-10, 20:54
Sounds highly likely.