PDA

View Full Version : Burke's Peerage and Gentry

Kit
10-11-10, 10:24
Does anyone have access to these records and would please do a lookup for me?

I can't put the name on here as the person in question is still living. Funnily enough the snippet I've found has his full name (not what he is known as) and DOB and an address that I sincerely hope is not his current address.

HarrysMum
10-11-10, 10:54
What edition is it, Kit??

Olde Crone
10-11-10, 15:49
Kit

But they normally DO have current addresses and full names and all kinds of information that most of us would consider too personal to publish!

I remember being absolutely horrified when a complete stranger (thinking we were distantly related through a marriage in 1700!) sent me details of someone from the Peerage giving all his biographical details, his address, his phone number, his email and even the school his two daughters went to.

When I remonstrated with the contact and said I thought he had a *** cheek passing on such sensitive information without the person's permission, he directed me to Burkes and there it all was!

OC

Kit
11-11-10, 02:55
Libby I don't know what edition. I'll get the website back and find out.

OC I've heard of Burke's before but thought it was an old thing, not having current people. I've been in touch with Sir X via ancestry and he is a lovely man and answered my questions about his tree. (I was confused why a lord with a detailed tree had my OH's convict rellies in his tree. Turns out OH is decended from the proverbial black sheep. lol)

I followed his tree on ancestry and worked out which living person Sir X was but thought I'd search ancestry bmds to put in his YOB however couldn't find him. I googled and worked out why I couldn't find him and then found Burkes but can't access it.

Kit
11-11-10, 02:59
This is the link to the site I found.

http://www.burkespeerage.com/Welcome.aspx

If there is more than one version it could account for why I couldn't find another of OH's rellies, who died 1881. I thought they must just add more to it, but maybe not.

HarrysMum
11-11-10, 03:48
That link only gets you to the welcome page, Kit. When I found mine it gave me the edition of the book. They have different people in the editions and yes, they do go up to quite current with lots of info sometimes.

Kit
11-11-10, 05:08
was your book online? I should try google books maybe.

Kit
11-11-10, 05:27
Didn't work. I can see a preview but not the items I want.