PDA

View Full Version : Paying the Piper

Ammanda Schutz
09-11-10, 23:20
I am seeking recommendations on the best subscription sites. Although I live in the US my ancestry is Australian, English, Irish, Scots, German and French. To research my OH I would like German and Italian sources, one can hope, and US records.
I have used Genes Reunited but now I am looking at the Deluxe Ancestry.
Does anyone have any thoughts. Thanks, Ammanda

borobabs
09-11-10, 23:26
Mar in Italy is the one to ask about Italian research ;;but think lot of the things you will find will be in German and Italian if you find them on ancestry ;;

kiterunner
10-11-10, 08:12
I would say ancestry is the best pay site that includes all those countries. They do have some German and Italian stuff though not very much yet, but they are always adding more. Up till now a lot of German people have been wary of doing their family history because of all the Nazi-era connotations and so there isn't very much German family history stuff online anywhere really; also they have strict rules about who can access their civil registration data.

Of course, ancestry have loads of US stuff, and they also have a lot of Australian stuff now. They have transcriptions of the Scottish censuses but you will inevitably end up having to buy credits on Scotland's People to check stuff.