PDA

View Full Version : Stoughton, Guildford?

ElizabethHerts
08-11-10, 15:07
I am transcribing my grandfather's diaries and he is reporting on the death of my great-great-grandmother Elizabeth White in 1932. She was 92.

"Granny is to be buried on Wednesday. Service at St Saviours (Guildford) at 12 noon, cremation at Brookwood and interment at Stoughton with the old man at 3 pm."

I assume she was to be buried with William Edward White, her husband, who died in 1907.

I have tried googling, but can't satisfactorily discover where exactly she would be buried. Do I assume it is a church, or is there a crematorium there?

I had never really twigged where she was buried, so I'm pleased I'm transcribing the diaries. They give such an insight.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-10, 15:10
I think I have answered my own question! I have found a cemetery at Stoughton - I didn't see it on Google maps.

It seems though I can get further information by contacting the council.

http://www.guildford.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=795

ElizabethHerts
08-11-10, 15:41
I now have a grave number and section number and if I visit they will find the grave for me, as apparently it won't be easy!

I think we'll have to go armed with secateurs!

Crafty Sue
08-11-10, 16:30
Hi Elizabeth,

From memory :rolleyes:(it's 30 odd years since we lived in the Guildford area)I don't think there is a church at the cemetry, Stoughton church is on the corner of the crossroads at Worplesdon Rd. Think there was a scout hut opposite the cemetry.

I used to go to the youth club at the church and went to secondary school in that area lol

Sue

ElizabethHerts
08-11-10, 17:09
Sue,thanks for your interest. My great-great-grandparents are buried in the old section of Stoke Cemetery. I think there is someone on site during the week. I hope we can tidy up the grave, but I don't know when we will go.

Crafty Sue
08-11-10, 18:47
I now have a grave number and section number and if I visit they will find the grave for me, as apparently it won't be easy!

I think we'll have to go armed with secateurs!

I've been to a few graveyards like that!! Kenwyn in Cornwall springs to mind, very overgrown when we went and huge.

Sue

Olde Crone
09-11-10, 20:11
Sue

Kenwyn churchyard (the oldest part) has deliberately been allowed to become overgrown as it is now a wildlife sanctuary!

OC

Crafty Sue
10-11-10, 07:11
Thanks for exlpaining that OC.

It was a daunting task anyway, didn't realize how big the churchyard was and with a lot of it being overgrown. We found a few names that might be connected but not the main ones we were looking for. We probably didn't search even half of it before hubby started getting fed up!

Sue

Uncle John
10-11-10, 09:49
How odd that these placenames should come up. When I first started work I was in digs in Stoughton for a time (1963-4!). And I have a bunch of rellies who lived at Kenwyn (they were mostly mining engineers working in the china clay industry).

Nell
14-11-10, 08:29
Part of the tiny graveyard at Limpenhoe, Norfolk has been designated an area for preservation, which means its just going to be allowed to go wild. Fortunately I was still able to find the family graves, but at the next parish in Cantley, you can barely see the graves for the grass and nettles. It seemed impossible to plough through when I went, but even if I had wellies I would feel I was disturbing the place.

Breckland Jane
14-11-10, 11:22
I would rather have a churchyard allowed to go wild with the gravestones left in position as opposed to ones I have come across where all the gravestones have been moved to the edge of the graveyard to leave just a large expanse of lawn which is presumably to make it easier to use a lawnmover. That just seems disrespectful to me.

Jane

Nell
14-11-10, 11:25
Perhaps Jane, but the gravestones can still be read.

Breckland Jane
14-11-10, 11:43
That's true Nell, as long as they are still readable of course. Unfortunately many of the gravestones I've looked for have been far too eroded to read anyway, even when I've waded through long vegetation (which is invariably also wet) looking for them. LOL

Jane

tenterfieldjulie
15-11-10, 04:58
Not if they are lining someone's swimming pool ...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

HarrysMum
15-11-10, 06:54
Or under Sydney's Town Hall.............grrrrrrrrrrr