PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Service Record Advice, please

chrissiebee
08-11-10, 15:05
Hi Folks,

I'm in a bit of a quandary at present. I would love to access the Service Record of my uncle during his service during WW2, whom I believe had a very difficult time. My mother (his sister) has severe dementia/Alzheimer's, so she couldn't request the details obviously, but I do know that this uncle had two children. I have absolutely no contact with these two cousins of mine (who might not even be 'with us' these days) and I do know that this uncle's spouse died many years ago.

As I would not appear to be the last known living relative of this uncle, is it at all possible to access these records, perhaps?

Many thanks,

Chris

kiterunner
08-11-10, 15:18
If your mother was his next of kin then I think you would be allowed to apply on her behalf, but it sounds as though your cousins would be his next of kin and only they would be allowed to apply as far as I know.

chrissiebee
08-11-10, 15:28
If your mother was his next of kin then I think you would be allowed to apply on her behalf, but it sounds as though your cousins would be his next of kin and only they would be allowed to apply as far as I know.

That's what I thought, too. I think I might be a bit naughty and apply for these records (on behalf of Mum, of course) and feign surprise if the Powers That Be inform me that this uncle does have two off-spring. Oh, what the h..., I shall never go to Heaven anyway............!:o:

Chris

Margaret in Burton
08-11-10, 16:41
Whatever you do be prepared for a long wait. We have applied for my FIL's. My OH is the next of kin and we have been told 6-9 months. They have already cashed the cheque though.

maggie_4_7
08-11-10, 19:17
I'm the same as Margaret I applied for my father's service records in July. Chequed cashed but they warned it would be a long wait and that's only if they find them!

Margaret in Burton
08-11-10, 20:03
I'm the same as Margaret I applied for my father's service records in July. Chequed cashed but they warned it would be a long wait and that's only if they find them!

OMG it's only about 6 weeks since we applied.

Apparently they are inundated.

maggie_4_7
08-11-10, 21:08
Well I got a letter to say thanks but it'll be a long wait do I want my money back or persevere do nothing for wanting to carry on. I didn't and they cashed my cheque the next week in July.

Heard nothing since. In fact until someone reminds me I forget all about it.

Margaret in Burton
08-11-10, 21:31
Well I got a letter to say thanks but it'll be a long wait do I want my money back or persevere do nothing for wanting to carry on. I didn't and they cashed my cheque the next week in July.

Heard nothing since. In fact until someone reminds me I forget all about it.

Same here.

chrissiebee
09-11-10, 15:32
Any idea how much it costs, ladies? Oh, and whom do you apply to, please?

Many thanks - Chris

Margaret in Burton
09-11-10, 18:48
Any idea how much it costs, ladies? Oh, and whom do you apply to, please?

Many thanks - Chris

This is an old thread of mine Chris.

It costs £30.

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5746

chrissiebee
10-11-10, 14:23
This is an old thread of mine Chris.

It costs £30.

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5746

*Gulp* - will certainly put that on the back burner for a bit! Many thanks for that info, Margaret, all the same......

Chris

Kit
11-11-10, 03:02
Maggie do you get your money back if there is no record to be found?

maggie_4_7
11-11-10, 05:46
Maggie do you get your money back if there is no record to be found?

No they keep the money.

chrissiebee
11-11-10, 15:52
No they keep the money.

Cor, blow that for a game of soldiers..........!

Chris