PDA

View Full Version : Missing marriage

Asa
08-11-10, 08:16
I've been searching for a marriage of a Benjamin Cannell (also Canale, Kennell and so on) to an Ann. He was baptised in 1725 in Shoreditch, Middlesex and she was born about the same time. They had five children baptised between 1749/50 and 1759 and Ann died in 1760, everything being at St Leonard Shoreditch. Although Benjamin was apprenticed to a blacksmith in 1740, this doesn't appear to have worked out because he's later recorded as a weaver, as most of the family were.

I searched all the likely and some less likely parishes before the marriages appeared on Ancestry and have had no better luck since they arrived, although I realise not every church is on there. No licence appears on British Origins and I've tried the Non Conformist site and the Family Search Pilot site, both of which have the Fleet Rules marriages.

Most of Benjamin's relations were married in East London or the City, or under the Fleet Rules.

Am I stymied?

kiterunner
08-11-10, 09:50
I can't think of anywhere else to try apart from just Googling, which came up with nothing. Ancestry still have more London stuff to come, so let's just hope they turn up in there.

Asa
08-11-10, 10:28
Thanks for having a look - there are a handful of marriages missing with this lot so hopefully they'll all turn up together in a church somewhere

Sue from Southend
08-11-10, 12:46
Asa - I had a marriage that appeared on Pallots but not on Ancestry so I went to the LMA to have a look at the films and apparently some original registers were lost in the Blitz before being filmed. So unless they were indexed by Pallot/Boyd etc you might be out of luck. I think the Parish I was looking at was Christchurch, Newgate but there may be others.

Asa
08-11-10, 14:45
That's what I'm not hoping for, Sue:) Boyds is indexed on British Origins and of course it's too early for Pallotts. I have a 1780s marriage at Christ Church Greyfriars indexed on Pallots but the details are lost.

Nell
08-11-10, 15:43
No consolation, but the remains of Christchurch Greyfriars (aka Christchurch Newgate) remains are still there - a few walls - just down the road from St. Sepulchre's, Holborn.

Asa
08-11-10, 16:41
I know it well, Nell - very nicely planted up isn't it.