PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Chantler (Chandler) Convict

tenterfieldjulie
08-11-10, 04:31
Can anyone find the early birth history of Thomas Chantler (sometimes called Chandler)?
Some on Gen. Forum are interested in Thomas Chandler, repudedly one of the "Beardies", from the early days of Northern New South Wales.
After attending a talk today, it has been established that he was born in 1810 in Kent, a ploughman, convicted of housebreaking in 1828 and arrived in Sydney (Port Jackson), NSW on 13 Sep 1829 on the "John".
Thomas was a witness at the murder trial of thoses who murdered his employer, John McIntyre from the Hunter Valley in 1832, after which he was in the employ of Peter McIntyre at Guyra.
Thomas married Margaret Downing on 28 Jan 1847 at "Blair Hill", his address "Shannon Vale" outside Glen Innes (C of E Register Armidale). Conditional pardon 10 April 1847. No known children.
Died 29 Nov 1862 Guy Fawkes, NSW aged 60 a carrier.

HarrysMum
08-11-10, 05:21
Was he still single when he was convicted??

HarrysMum
08-11-10, 05:24
There's a Thomas Chantler 24 Nov 1811, Staplehurst Kent. Parents John and Mary.

There's a couple more Thomas CHANDLER who fit the time and place.

tenterfieldjulie
08-11-10, 05:29
At trial - Aged 18 in 1828. Wouldn't have thought married.
Married 1847 in NSW- will check the microfilm tomorrow of St. Peter's Armidale Register to see if it gives marital status.
I've found lots about him on "Free Settler or Felon" site, which is explained in detail in Graham Wilson's talk.

tenterfieldjulie
08-11-10, 05:41
On "Free Settler of Felon" -
one document says Labourer from Maidstone,
another says Labourer from Canterbury, Kent,
the AO NSW Convict Indent says aged 19 (1829) ploughman from Kent, sentenced at Maidstone, 15 December 1828 to Transportation for Life for house breaking. Assigned to John McIntyre on arrival.
G.W. said that when Thomas found out about John McIntyre's murder he ran away thinking he would be blamed. He was found and gaoled for absconding, but because of giving evidence he wasn't given the usual punishment(lashes).
Where he was born or who were his parents unknown. :(
He was definitely Chantler but sometimes called Chandler, the Staplehurst one could be him?
I wonder if there is anything in the original records that give parents names as he was only 18?

HarrysMum
08-11-10, 05:52
Maybe the records said Maidstone because that's where he was last.....in court....lol

Or Staplehurst could be in Maidstone district. I can tell you about early Lancashire or Cabrach but everywhere else is a blur....lol

Mary from Italy
08-11-10, 05:52
Thanks very much for all this information, Julie. I shall be really interested to read Graham's article.

Although this Thomas comes from Kent, like my Chandlers, I'm not sure if he's related to them, because they were from Beckenham.

However, I haven't found any Chandler events in Beckenham before the marriage of my 4+G-grandparents in 1793; I have no idea where they might have lived before that, so I'll see if I can find any connection with the Maidstone/Canterbury/Staplehurst areas (all of which are quite a distance from Beckenham, which is on the Surrey border).

Staplehurst is quite near Maidstone (about 10 miles away).

HarrysMum
08-11-10, 05:53
Hi Mary......thought I might see you here.........lol

Mary from Italy
08-11-10, 05:57
I think I might try these people to see if they have any Chandlers in their database of convicts and settlement and removal orders:

http://www.kentgen.com/emigrants.htm

Mary from Italy
08-11-10, 05:59
Hi Mary......thought I might see you here.........lol

I'm really impressed with all the information that Julie's finding :)

I shall really have to come and visit the New England area one of these days - you can't move up there without tripping over Inmans and Chandlers by the look of it :)

tenterfieldjulie
08-11-10, 06:06
Free beds at my place anytime Mary -
You'd have to stay with me, cause I live on the good side of town -
someone else :p (unnamed) lives on the otherside lol
Waves a truce flag :) to the unnamed

tenterfieldjulie
08-11-10, 06:20
My Chantlers are in Ticehurst, West Sussex from 1696 to at least 1765 when Lucy marries William Avery. A cousin published this connection to my Kent Smiths, but did not publish her sources unfortunately. :(

Mary from Italy
08-11-10, 06:59
One of the Chandlers in Walcha was Alma Chandler, and there's a folk song about him:

http://www.swap.com/CD/australia-music-from-new-england-tablelands-new-south-wales-various-artists/371818/

(Click on the link to My Name Is Alma Chandler to listen to it.)

Mary from Italy
08-11-10, 07:00
Free beds at my place anytime Mary -

That's a very rash offer :)

You'd have to stay with me, cause I live on the good side of town -
someone else :p (unnamed) lives on the otherside lol
Waves a truce flag :) to the unnamed

LOL :)

HarrysMum
08-11-10, 07:02
I like my side of town.......

Mary from Italy
08-11-10, 07:06
There's a Thomas Chandler in the NSW BDM index who died in Armidale in 1862, parents Thomas and Mary, which is presumably him.

tenterfieldjulie
08-11-10, 07:42
That's him Mary.
Death Cert. says parents Thomas and Mary. The birth Libby found said John and Mary, Staplehurst. Let's hope we find the marriage tomorrow on mcrofilm and it tells us parents names?
On the 1861 Sussex Census there is a William Chantler aged 59 - Chelsea Pensioner, Ticehurst, Sussex, Mary Ann Chantler, Wife 38 Ticehurst.
So William born Abt 1802 and Thomas born 1810?
Maybe the Sussex On Line Parish Clerk might find something :)
I start out looking for you and end up looking for us both - shades of Noel eh.

HarrysMum
08-11-10, 07:55
Check your emails Julie.