PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Kew

Asa
06-11-10, 10:30
I've never been before and hope to go soon. Was wondering if anyone has any tips - I have to look for some WW1 Army stuff (doesn't appear on Ancestry but my friend has the details), some Non Conformist burials and Greenwich Pensioner records.

Carolyn P
06-11-10, 21:55
I went a couple of weeks ago and they have a new system for issuing Readers Cards, necessary if you want to view any original documents. You now have to sit at a computer terminal and watch a sort of tutorial on the do's and don'ts of handling old documents etc, then answer multiple choice questions, which if you get wrong it asks you to have another go. Then you have to queue up with your 2 pieces of ID, one with signature and one with address, then they take your photo and issue you with a card that's valid for 2 years. It's worth all the hassle though cos some of the information in the documents is absolutley priceless!! Have fun!!

Asa
07-11-10, 07:48
Ah thanks, Carolyn:) I wouldn't even have thought to take ID, although you do have to initially at some ROs.

Oakum Picker
07-11-10, 09:07
If you are driving, you have to book & pay for a parking space beforehand.

Asa
07-11-10, 09:48
Thanks for that - I probably ought to check the website for details.

Nell
07-11-10, 13:57
Asa

Allow 20 minutes to get your readers' card processed and remember ID and proof of address (bank card, passport, driver's licence, utility bill).

Look on the first trip as a chance to find out about Kew rather than looking at lots of documents.

Ground floor has a bookshop which also sells notebooks, pencils, etc, then the restaurant and coffee bar and toilets, and the locker room. Lockers are free and there are lots of clear plastic bags to put your pencils etc in.

OK. Upstairs 2 flights is where they process your reader's ticket. You can also load money onto it for photocopying. It also has the large reader's room for looking at oversized documents like maps and chancery scrolls.

1st floor has the reading room, which you will need your reader card to get into and submit your plastic bag for searching. When you order documents you'll be allocated a table number in the room and this corresponds with the locker where your documents will be put. It's quite simple, don't be daunted!

The rest of the first floor is open access. There's a lot of finding tools to help you locate documents as well as computers where you have free access to the 1911 census, Ancestry etc. Round the back is the library which has masses of stuff - always worth browsing while you are waiting for your documents to arrive. It includes London Post office directories, and shelves arranged by county with a wealth of useful stuff.

Most of all - enjoy. Familiarise yourself with it, by the next visit you'll feel like an old hand!

Nell
07-11-10, 13:57
Oh and if you put a date on the Events page you may find you have some company for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea!

Asa
08-11-10, 07:48
Thank you Nell:) I didn't realise it would be as organised as all that - thought it would be more like the LMA - will have to get myself organised! Really helpful stuff thanks

Phoenix
08-11-10, 09:57
Do check the website as it will have building works soon.

If you are free, and live nearby, go to the Catalogue Awareness Day. It's an amazing event - tells you all the new things they are doing to publicise their catalogue.

Asa
08-11-10, 10:28
Thanks Phoenix - will have a gander :)