PDA

View Full Version : Not a question at all really, just thought it was so sad ...

Joy Dean
04-11-10, 20:27
Browsing and searching burials in ancestry, I just read
A Man unknown. It gave his abode and his age about 60.

WendyPusey
04-11-10, 20:31
Reading through the burials for many parishes along the coast on the Isle of Wight you will find many entries like that. usually it's "unknown sailor washed up on beach"

Sally
04-11-10, 21:02
It really makes you stop and think doesn't it.

Merry
04-11-10, 21:59
FreeBMD has 64,980 deaths listed under the surname Unknown.

marquette
05-11-10, 00:37
I browsed through the parish records of St Mary Rotherhithe, along the Thames, and nearly every month there was a burial for some poor unknown man, woman or child, drowned.

Presumably they washed up here from upstream or downstream, or fallen off a ship and were not known to the locals. Their families would never have known what became of them, they would have just disappeared.

Margaret in Burton
05-11-10, 09:15
OH's great great grandfather just disappeared. Probably something similar happened to him.

Durham Lady
05-11-10, 09:54
I've a couple of Cornish men who were sailors and there's no trace of them dying. I have always assumed they could have been involved in a shipwreck or lost overboard.

Joy Dean
07-11-10, 08:20
And browsing, as I am, the parish register for St James, Piccadilly - Name Unknown (didn't even say male or female), and A male child (name unknown).
How sad, not to be known.

Olde Crone
07-11-10, 08:47
Joy

The Vicar of Kirk Michael, on the Isle of Man, buried many body parts (!) of shipwrecked sailors and instead of writing "unknown" he wrote "known unto God" which I thought was a much kinder expression.

OC

Joy Dean
07-11-10, 08:55
Joy

The Vicar of Kirk Michael, on the Isle of Man, buried many body parts (!) of shipwrecked sailors and instead of writing "unknown" he wrote "known unto God" which I thought was a much kinder expression.

OC

Oh, OC, thank you, that is much better :) , and reminds me of Rudyard Kipling who chose Known Unto God for gravestones for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

JBee
07-11-10, 11:24
There's so many people that I can't find and I often wonder what happened to them.

Several members of one particular branch all called John (christian name) disappear without trace and two others die young. Not a very lucky name.