PDA

View Full Version : Probably an impossible question to answer..

Sally
04-11-10, 19:49
....but I would welcome any thoughts at all, however wild and fanciful!!!

I have a man (in son in law's tree, where else) who was born in Essex and who along with his sons worked in a thriving brickworks in Prittlewell - he worked up to the position of Foreman, and seemed to have a lovely cottage and was able to support a large family without his wife having to work.

Some time between 1901 and 1911 the whole family moved to Glamorgan where the men continued their work as brickmen, with the head of the family still a Foreman.........so nothing changed for better or worse there it seems.

It just is rather odd that at this particular time there was a massive boom in the brickmaking industry in Essex due to the arrival of the railway and a subsequent huge increase in population, and therefore it would seem that far from lack of work being a reason for moving there would have been an over abundance.

What was the lure of Wales??? Why was Essex suddenly not a good place to live and work?

Olde Crone
04-11-10, 20:10
His employer expanded and built a new brickworks in Wales and took key staff with him, having made them an offer they couldn't refuse..more money, better housing.

Many of mine made similar sorts of moves (often returning though, in later years to their roots).

OC

Sally
04-11-10, 20:21
That's an interesting one OC.....will look to see if I can discover when the brickworks that they went to in Wales was started up.

Thank you, that something to look at.