PDA

View Full Version : John Greentree, Harting, Sussex OH3XGGF

tenterfieldjulie
04-11-10, 06:32
Name: John Greentree
Date and Place of Birth: 1742 Harting, Sussex
Parents: Thomas Greentree and Mary Wyatt
Baptism: 13 Feb 1742, Harting, Sussex (IGI)
Marriage: 15 October 1775 Harting, Sussex to Ann Davies (IGI)
Address: Harting, Sussex 1742 to 1790 (Childrens Baptisms IGI)
Date of Death, Place and Cause: Unknown
Date and Place of Burial: Unknown
Will: Unknown

ElizabethHerts
04-11-10, 06:42
Julie, I found this marriage for Thomas Greentree, but is it too early?

Groom's Name: Thos. Greentree
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Mary Wiat
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 11 Nov 1731
Marriage Place: Harting,Sussex,England
Groom's Father's Name:
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name:
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M07058-1
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 918470
Reference Number:
Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

tenterfieldjulie
04-11-10, 07:10
It looks promising Elizabeth, especially if there are other children born before him. Julie

tenterfieldjulie
04-11-10, 07:14
Elizabeth - I tried looking at Online Parish Clerk earlier, but my computer is freezing if the web site has quite a bit of info. Julie

kiterunner
04-11-10, 08:09
There isn't an online parish clerk for Harting yet, Julie.

Caroline
04-11-10, 09:29
Have you tried the Parish Record transcription Society?

They have a CD for Harting you can buy, or you can search their database for free and pay for the complete record (although it seems to be down at the moment, so I couldn't look for you):

http://www.prtsoc.org.uk/index.php

UPDATE: Just got in and there are lots of BMDS for Greentrees in Harting from 1560ish onwards ....

Merry
04-11-10, 09:37
Parents: Thomas Greentree and Mary Wyatt

How did you know Mary's surname?

HarrysMum
04-11-10, 18:17
Family Search Record Search brings up that marriage, Merry. Also Wiat and Wiot but the same date so obviously ( I think...lol) the same marriage.

tenterfieldjulie
05-11-10, 06:10
Thanks everyone for your interest and help.
We looked at all the possibilities for the marriage and the Mary ......... Wiot/Wiat/Wyatt was the only obvious one. There is a gap between the marriage and William's birth though. I'm wondering as Harting is so close to the Hampshire border, if other children's baptisms could be there? What does anyone think? They are definitely Harting people, but as they were agricultural workers they may have had to chase seasonal work.
Thanks Caroline for that site and I am certainly going to look into buying the CD. The Greentrees were originally Harting people and I think it would be an important part of their story.
When visiting in July I spoke to the Vicar and he said he had no known parishioners of that name now. He also said the records were at Chichester. In the Harting church they sold parchments scrolls of the Harting area, something I had not seen in other churches. I practically bought them out :D

Caroline
05-11-10, 06:34
I should have mentioned yesterday that even though I have some of the Sussex CDs, I found some entries in their database that were not on my CDs (including a burial that I had been looking for for ages), so it is worth buying some credits for the details, although you can see a lot for free once you have registered.

tenterfieldjulie
05-11-10, 10:11
Thanks Caroline - that is insider knowledge :d:d
I'm so excited about all this information
- not much housework getting done
- not that it takes much to distract me lol Julie

Shazz27
20-04-15, 22:56
I'm very excited reading this
From Australia we have only names and even they are roughly noted prior to Henry Greentree & Jane Pope. We all have little knowledge of Henry Greentrees ancestry