PDA

View Full Version : Could this be cleaned up please?

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 18:03
Just received this by email, so don't have the original. Is it possible to mend the dress please?
Also any ideas on the little girl's age ?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n101/alanlflower/FlorenceMorrellandUnknownDaughter.jpg

Joan of Archives
14-09-09, 18:20
Trish is the child related to you? I was wondering if she grew up do you know? I'll tell you why I ask in a moment :rolleyes:

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 18:31
Hi Joan, this all sounds intriguing:). At the moment I know nothing about the little girl, still trying to work out which lady the mother is as we have 2 of that name. All the info is coming from Canada but I believe the mother was born in Bristol (possibly)

Forgot to say that this is OH's rellies

Joan of Archives
14-09-09, 18:42
OK well I don't like to shock you but it looks like one of those studio photos taken after death :( The reason why I wondered is because the lady is in black & the child looks rather stiff & her eyes look slightly odd.

There is a site with photos of these but as they are very upsetting so I won't put the link up here, pm me if you would like it.

In North America in particular, if a child died the family would sometimes "stage" a last photo with the deceased, they would sometimes be kept upright on a stand, & they would paint "false" eyes on the child's eyelids. Sorry it's really morbid, but look at your photo very closely. The child's arms are very stiff don't you think? The photos were called memento mori.

However of course it may be a completely normal photograph so excuse my barking up totally the wrong tree lol!

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 18:46
Ohhhh, thank you. I had heard about those sort of photos but never gave it a second thought when I saw this one. Will have a closer look at it. If you could pass the addy on for that site please and I'll have a look at it (*shivers*)

Joan of Archives
14-09-09, 19:01
OK Trish I will, sorry it's a bit upsetting, interesting at the same time though that the Victorians were so keen to preserve a loved one's image forever. Hopefully yours isn't one of those though :rolleyes:

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 19:04
Thanks Joan, could be quite interesting (if a bit morbid). If anyone else has an opinion about this I'd love to hear please

Tilly Mint
14-09-09, 19:23
How facinating....can you pm me the link please Joan. I've never heard of this before - i learn something new everyday...

Hope you dont mind me asking Trish.

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 19:25
Not at all Jacky, let me know your thoughts please once you've had a look at the links?

Joan of Archives
14-09-09, 19:28
OK Jacky I will, but be warned they can be very unsettling hence I won't post it on the site.

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 19:42
If anyone else wants the link that Joan has please think twice before asking - I'm not easily upset but these photos made my eyes quite moist

Tilly Mint
14-09-09, 19:54
If anyone else wants the link that Joan has please think twice before asking - I'm not easily upset but these photos made my eyes quite moist

I feel the same as Trish....very sad to see..

Trish@Somerset
15-09-09, 08:59
I put this on FTF as well to get more ideas and they seem to think it is the older lady who is deceased, the unseen eyes, the way the arms fall, the positioning of the hands and the way she isn't looking at the camera. So any more ideas very welcome

FamilyHistoryAddict
15-09-09, 09:32
Hi Joan,

I have heard of this before and have seen these photos (usually featuring babies) in magazine articles.

The old lady appears to have her eyes shut which is strange - normally you would look at the child or the camera wouldn't you?

I would be interested in seeing the link.

Cheers, FHA

Trish@Somerset
15-09-09, 09:45
Done FHA and Valley

Rachel
15-09-09, 11:19
Barbara has an article in the August edition of FTF Magazine ~ 'Mourning Ritials ~ Death and the Victorians' in which she talks about Post Mortem photography ~ there are links to some sites with photographs, which are very creepy.

Trish@Somerset
15-09-09, 11:29
Rachel, yes, they're not nice at all are they! Will only look properly when I really have to:(

Niksmum
15-09-09, 11:42
here is my restore

Niksmum

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w344/niksmum/Grandpaatpark1-1.jpg

Trish@Somerset
15-09-09, 11:52
Thank you Niksmum, that's lovely:):). I'll send this on to the person who sent it to us, they'll be thrilled - I almost forgot my reason for putting it here:d:d

Merry
15-09-09, 12:56
Does anyone have an opinion on the date of the photo and/or the ages of the people?

Rachel
15-09-09, 13:22
2 from me

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/TrishGFFlorenceMweb.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/TrishGFFlMorrell2web.jpg

Trish@Somerset
15-09-09, 14:02
Thanks very much Rachel:) What an improvement to the original!:)

Joan of Archives
15-09-09, 15:40
I'm in two minds about the date, I am leaning towards later now, around 1902? Not sure why but maybe the straight front on the woman's skirt & the lack of the puffed sleeves? Either that or much earlier.

:confused:

Rosi Glow
15-09-09, 17:41
Joan, can you pm me the link please.

Merry
15-09-09, 20:57
I'm in two minds about the date, I am leaning towards later now, around 1902? Not sure why but maybe the straight front on the woman's skirt & the lack of the puffed sleeves? Either that or much earlier.

:confused:

Trouble is, the lady it's supposed to be was still alive, in her mid-40's in 1911.

Joan of Archives
15-09-09, 21:40
Could she have been in her late 30's when the photo was taken then Merry?

Poor woman she couldn't help looking older than her years lol ! :d

Merry
15-09-09, 21:50
Could she have been in her late 30's when the photo was taken then Merry?

Now come on Joanie! How could she be dead at 38 and alive at 46?

All her daughters seem to have lived to at least 14 as well, so I don't get it!

peppie
15-09-09, 22:49
No way are either of them desceased..... their cheeks are too * normal* any dead body I have seen before or after any touch up, the skin draws in and the facial bones more defined.
The picture is too alive....... it's likely the older lady blinked, the skin around the hands leaves nothing to tell me that the person is deceased. The veins are still really visable....

Kit
16-09-09, 06:35
Could I have the link too please?

LindyTumblethump
16-09-09, 09:47
May I also have the link please. xxhugxx

Trish@Somerset
16-09-09, 10:24
Sent to Kit and Lindy, but do think to yourselves - do you really want to see these?

garstonite
19-09-09, 08:14
looks like 2 barmaids in the Garston Hotel...:d...allan

Trish@Somerset
19-09-09, 14:38
I'll tell them what you said Allan:d:d