PDA

View Full Version : BMD Registers Q

Merry
30-10-10, 10:51
BK6 updated from this thread

I am still trying to decide if these Smiths are mine, once and for all!

I have David and Elizabeth Smith on the 1851 census with their unm dau Rhoda aged 40 b Kempston, Beds (amongst others). I am trying to establish whether David and Elizabeth are the same couple who married as David Smith and Elizabeth Maynard in 1795.

Rhoda Smith apears on the IGI, submitted entry dob 27th Feb 1811 b Bedford.

There's an entry on FS Record Search pilot with the same date 'birthplace Cripplegate, London' with a link to the BMD Registers site as it's a non-conformist entry.

Am I correct in thinking that this entry may have grandparents names? (but if I search Maynard I don't get a match)

I have also looked at other possible BMD register entries for the children of David Smith and have found:

Joseph 1795 (no others before this one for Bedfordshire)
William 1797 (there's a William aged 53 still at home in 1851)
Eliza 1805 (possible match on 1841 with parents)
Rhoda 1811

All of the above are RG4 entries.

kiterunner
30-10-10, 11:01
The Bedfordshire 1811 entry is RG4 0273 - Register of Births at the Baptist Chapel in Mill Street, Bedford, Bedfordshire from 1792 to 1836
and the London one is RG4 4675 - Register of Births at Dr Williams' Library in Red Cross Street, Cripplegate, London registered between 1779 to 1837

I have got a Dr Williams library entry which gives grandparents' names but it is an RG5 one.

Merry
30-10-10, 11:06
Frustrating, isn't it! lol

Even if I work out that the tailoring David Smith was married to Eliz Maynard (ie he is the same person as farmer David from the marriage record) I still don't know who she is, despite knowing her age and place of birth from the census. Just that she is the daughter of one of my Maynards! lol Same goes for the other Maynard - Mary who married John Smith.

Merry
30-10-10, 11:08
Sorry, I forgot to say thankyou :o

Might the birth records give an occ for the father? *clutches straws*

kiterunner
30-10-10, 12:00
The RG5 Dr Williams Library one that I have does give the father's occupation, but I don't know if an RG4 one would.

Merry
30-10-10, 14:05
Woo-hoo!!

They are mine!!

Third strike was a lucky one and the only RG5 record for this family:

25th July 1837:

This is to certify and declare that Eliza, the daughter of David Smith of Bedford in the county of Bedford, tailor, and Elizabeth his wife who was the daughter of William Maynard of Kempston in the county of Bedford, farmer, was born at the house of the said David Smith in the Parish of St Paul Bedford in the county of Bedford on the 8th day of August 1805.

Signed by both the parents (David's sig is identical to the one on his marriage licence when he was a farmer) and witnessed by Mary Smith, who I am currently hoping might turn out to be Mary nee Maynard who married John Smith.

Sooooo......The elderly couple on the census are the same people who married in 1795 and now I know who Elizabeth Maynard is! ie the dau of William who only baptised one of his children at the C of E church but I guessed he had more as their were burials for some children who were not baptised. The child he did have baptised was Mary and her age is spot on to be John Smith's widow :D

I hope you are all following this?!! *happy skip*

Why would David and Elizabeth have only registered Eliza in 1837? They had at least two other surviving children.

Uncle John
30-10-10, 14:13
The Baptist Chapel in Mill Street would have been in the parish of St. Paul. Mill Street currently has the Bunyan Meeting (an independent church but of a Baptist leaning) and the Howard Chapel (now a nightclub but with a few gravestones).

Nell
30-10-10, 14:16
Merry

I am so pleased for you! If only all baptisms gave as much info *sigh*.

Merry
30-10-10, 14:20
Thanks UJ :) I know someone called Wm Maynard was disowned by the Bunyan Meeting for being drunk and disorderly - I think by the date this could well be my 4xg-grandfather! :rolleyes:

Thanks Nell - I am chuffed!

I have to go out now, but at least it's with a smile on my face!

HarrysMum
30-10-10, 21:34
Merry...wlaking out door and haven't got time to read all the posts...

but Richard Smith born 27th Feb 1811...parents David and Elizabeth Smith Grandparents William Maynard Farmer Kempston....

I'll try to gte back late but am away till Wed.

If I can work Dad's puter I'll look tonight.

Merry
30-10-10, 22:00
Oooh, thank you so much Libby :):) - I don't know how I missed that! A twin for Rhoda and double the proof of the grandfather!

I have been trying to find similar sorts of records for the children of John and Mary Smith (I think Mary's father was also William Maynard) but at the moment I can only find one likely child (Emma Smith - and I've forgotten the year! 1801 or 1805?) and I don't see an RG5 record for her, so I'm thinking there won't be the extra info on the RG4 record. :( John and Mary Smith married in 1799.

Merry
30-10-10, 22:08
I've forgotten the year! 1801 or 1805

It's 1801.

HarrysMum
31-10-10, 09:01
OK Merry I'm on Dad's computer so excuse all the typos I'm going to make.....lol.

I'll have a look and be back soon.

Merry
31-10-10, 09:17
Thanks Libby. Any record for them would be in Bedfordshire, I think.

HarrysMum
31-10-10, 09:27
So far I've found (I'm going to kill this computer soon...lol)

Eliza born 8/8/1805 to David (a tailor)and Elizabeth (grandfather William MEYNARD Kemptsone)

Also William 30/8/1797
and
Joseph
both parents David and Elizabeth Smith (no grandfather given) but both of Kemtson.

I'll go try for the others now.

Merry
31-10-10, 09:30
I've go those children of David and Elizabeth, plus Rhoda twin of Richard.

*frets about murdered computer*

HarrysMum
31-10-10, 09:45
Only found Emma, parents John and Mary Smith 7/2/1801

No grandparents mentioned but was in Bedfordshire.

Merry
31-10-10, 09:48
Thanks very much Libby.

Maybe that's why Mary lived to a great age, having only gone through one pregnancy! (a big assumption, I know)