PDA

View Full Version : James Higho - foiled again!

Nell
29-10-10, 08:14
Some of you may recall :) my ex has Higho ancestors. It's an unusual name so I'm always keen to investigate any Higho findings.

I have a baptism for a James Higho in 1791 at St Leonards Shoreditch, parents James & Pheebe [sic].

I haven't been able to find a marriage for James and Phoebe or what happened to James junior.

But I recently found a James Higho baptised 14 Feb 1747 at St Mary Whitechapel, who could be James senior. Parents John & Elizabeth, abode: Church Alley.

Hopes were dashed when I discovered a mistranscribed death for James Higho, a child from Church Alley, at St Mary Whitechapel 12 Jul 1748.

So I still don't know who James senior was or what happened to him, his wife or his child!!!

Margaret in Burton
29-10-10, 08:19
Nell

I think I've mentioned this before. I have Hayhoe, sometimes spelt Higho from Little Saxham in Suffolk. The first name Ezekial seems to be a favourite.

Merry
29-10-10, 08:20
lol - they's be related to my McCrerys then! My commiserations..........

The name Higho coupled with your expression 'foiled again' makes me think of swashbuckling highwaymen!

Nell
29-10-10, 09:11
*waves to Margaret* I am not sure the families are linked, there are a few variations and there are Highoe/ow/Hayhoes from East Anglia, but I've not been able to make a connection.

Merry - what a lurid imagination you have!

On the plus side I have found a marriage for the Higho gt 5 grandparents at long last - recorded as Hyho!

tenterfieldjulie
29-10-10, 09:20
Nell,
That name conjures up for me the Disney Movie and the Seven Dwarfs Singing "Highho Highho it's off to work we go" !!
Swashbuckling is much more adventurous and glamorous lol Julie

Janet in Yorkshire
29-10-10, 09:33
For me, it's Jeff Beck singing "Hi Ho, silver lining" - it's obvious!

Jay

Asa
29-10-10, 11:02
I know how you feel, Nell. I was convinced I had my Odarts connected to a same named family who are well recorded back into the C17th and - alas - the searchable London PRs threw up a burial I didn't want. Of course the parents may have had another son who was mine but if they did, I can't find a baptism so I've had to scrap them for now...

Merry
29-10-10, 11:12
For me, it's Jeff Beck singing "Hi Ho, silver lining" - it's obvious!

Jay

lol Jay!!

Merry - what a lurid imagination you have!

I love that!!!

Nell
29-10-10, 11:56
Mind you a lurid imagination is quite useful in family history!

Asa, perhaps we can commiserate together sometime at a meet!

Sabrina
29-10-10, 20:25
recorded as Hyho!

Didn't Larry Grayson used to say that?

Oh wait that was "hey ho"! :D

Kit
30-10-10, 01:57
Commiserations Nell. You'll solve it eventually.

Nell
30-10-10, 09:17
Sabrina - I sometimes say "hey ho" and also "lackaday".

Toni - don't feel too sorry, James wasn't in the direct line of descent - and in looking for Higho/Hio/Hyho/Hygho etc variants I've found a few more baptisms, marriages and burials for people that are more closely related to ex's direct ancestors. On a bit of a roll with this.

Sabrina
30-10-10, 13:49
I sometimes say "hey ho" and also "lackaday"

lol :d

A work colleague once commented on the cockney rhyming slang which I used and asked if I was from London. It wasn't until I started researching the family history that I realised that some of our ancestors actually lived in London for a while, where it must have been picked up and passed down through the generations.

Nell
30-10-10, 14:15
I used to always say it was "taters" if it was cold, as my Dad (born Stoke Newington) did. Years later I discovered it was "taters in the mould" rhyming for cold, meaning potatoes in the ground!