PDA

View Full Version : Where would I have seen the census images for Scotland???

HarrysMum
26-10-10, 08:58
I know I've seen a couple of census images for maybe 1841/1851 for Scotland but can't remember where.

Did Ancestry ever have them??

Merry
26-10-10, 09:07
No, but you can view them via Scotland's People:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Merry
26-10-10, 09:08
Oooh, they have done away with their apostrophe :eek:

HarrysMum
26-10-10, 09:14

Heaven forbid.................do you think we could fix it before someone we know sees it?????? lol

No..I didn't see them on SP, cos I didn't know SP existed when I saw them. I hate not knowing...lol

Rachel
26-10-10, 09:40

Did they ever have one ?

My reg with them in Feb 2006 has no apostrophe :)

kiterunner
26-10-10, 10:17
The images have only ever been on Scotland's People as no other website has been allowed a licence to make them available.

HarrysMum
26-10-10, 10:53
Well I'm going mad.....(yes others probably knew that)

I remember seeing that 1851 census in handwriting and wondering about the 'grandchildren'. Maybe somebody else gave me a copy.....

Better get some more SP credits.....lol

Durham Lady
26-10-10, 16:48
Yes they are on Ancestry, at least they are on Worldwide. This is what it says.

We have indexes and images of UK censuses for England, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man, for every decade from 1841 through 1901.

Libby if there's something you need looking up PM me and I'll be happy to help.

kiterunner
26-10-10, 16:54
They don't have the images of the Scottish censuses, only the transcripts.

Durham Lady
26-10-10, 18:41
Oh sorry I stand corrected. I never knew that, I've never needed to look at them so took what I read as being correct. Pity Ancestry don't say so in the first place.

Uncle John
26-10-10, 19:39
They don't have the images of the Scottish censuses, only the transcripts.

And they are Ancestry's transcripts, which are sometimes OK but sometimes wildly inaccurate or gobbledegook.

HarrysMum
26-10-10, 20:08
UJ......strangely the image I wanted, and have seen before, is more gobbledegook than Ancestry's trnanscript.............lol

Uncle John
26-10-10, 21:26
The end result seems to depend on what sort of pen they used. I had one US census page where he seemed to have used a paint-brush, not a pen. But I also had a beautiful 1855 Scottish birth certificate done with such a fine pen the online image was unreadable. SP sent me a fresh A3 size scan which was a work of art.

HarrysMum
26-10-10, 21:30
UJ......................my self-improvement task for November is to learn how to use SP.........lol

I'm hoping my brain has improved since last time I tried, although trying to find Isabell Grant possibly wasn't the best place to start.....lol

Uncle John
27-10-10, 20:04
I haven't used it for searching since the search engine was improved, so that will be a new experience for me.

JBee
28-10-10, 15:39
Unfortunately you can't get the 1911 census until sometime next year on Scotlandspeople - they're keeping to the letter of the 100 year rule!!!.

They now have the catholic records on scotlandspeople - but not if you visit. I went on purpose to Edinburgh to have a proper look and I couldn't access them.

maggie_4_7
28-10-10, 19:49
I don't like the new layout and search on Scotland's People it's to busy.

HarrysMum
28-10-10, 20:23
I don't like the new layout and search on Scotland's People it's to busy.

I couldn't work out the old layout......lol

All the records I want are before 1883 for one family and before 1839 for the others.

I think I'll try the Irvines first then venture onto the Grants later...

maggie_4_7
28-10-10, 21:36
I couldn't work out the old layout......lol

All the records I want are before 1883 for one family and before 1839 for the others.

I think I'll try the Irvines first then venture onto the Grants later...

oooooh I might have an Irvine in my lot but I'm not sure though :d I don't think her children could remember their mother's name.

I think the new layout and search is more busy and complicated I liked the old layout.

Before 1883 is okay as long as its after 1855 for SP but before 1839 the records are hard to search and decipher.