PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Entry into Aus 1887-1894?

tenterfieldjulie
25-10-10, 12:23
OH Grandparents Mathew McDonagh and Ellen O'Connor met on the ship to Aus. from Ireland. I believe Mathew and possibly his cousin John Finn's fare would have been paid for by their uncle Mathew Finn. On Mathew & Ellen's marriage cert 1/7/1896 she is born Limerick, Occupation Lady, Age 26, Father Patrick - Farmer, Mother Bridget Kennelly. I have no other infor on Ellen - only McDonagh family story from Ireland that her family did not approve as Mathew came from a poor family. I have not been able to find their entry into Australia and I am wondering if anyone can find them or if anyone can make suggestions please. Thank you. Julie

Merry
25-10-10, 13:02
I can't help with what you want, but here's a couple of siblings for Ellen:
Name: John O Connor
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date: 23 Jun 1872
Birthplace: Limerick, Ireland
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Patrick O Connor
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Bridget Kennelly
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70150-4
System Origin: Ireland-ODM
Source Film Number: 255860
Reference Number:
Collection: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881

Name: Michael O'Connor
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date: 08 Mar 1878
Birthplace: Limerick, Ireland
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Patrick O'Connor
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Bridget Kenneally O'Connor
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00634-2
System Origin: Ireland-EASy
Source Film Number: 256001
Reference Number: v 5 p 598
Collection: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881

Merry
25-10-10, 13:32
On the Irish 1901 and 1911 censuses there's Patrick and Bridget O'Connor in the townland of Ballaghbehy in Limerick. He is a farmer aged 62/72 respectively. I can't say they are for def the right family though. They have a son, John at home who is aged 26/37 respectively and I think he should be 28/38 if accurate.

Still could be worth trying to eliminate! lol

marquette
25-10-10, 20:55
If they met on the ship, and you have Matthews arrival details, won't you have, or be able to find, Ellens as well ?

If not, then you can search on-line many passengers lists for those arriving to New South Wales. It will take a bit of trawling probably to find them all on the same ship - you can search by ship name or passenger name, assisted migrants and full-fare paying passengers. Be creative will the spelling too, Irish names have lots of variations. Unless you are unlucky enough that they were simply listed as "38 passengers, steerage" but that practise had ceased by the 1880s I think.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online#i
and

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Did they come immediately before their wedding (1895-96), or some years earlier do you think ?

Di

tenterfieldjulie
25-10-10, 21:31
Merry and Di,
Many thanks for the info on Ellen's siblings that is brilliant and to give a townland that is worth gold Merry. :d:d
I must admit that it is some years since I tried to find anything about Ellen - being and O'Connor and from Limerick seemed impossible. A member of our FHG paid quite of lot of money to a Limerick researcher ten or more years ago and got very little, so it made me wary of doing that.
Regarding shipping I could not find them on assisted passengers and wrote to Past Keys to see if they were on their shipping lists, but the date was too late. They married in Sydney St. Benedicts so I knew they were here by then, I found Mathew playing cricket 1894 and on his death cert in 1961 it said he was here 74 years so I narrowed it to arrival between 1887 to 1894.
Only recently have I heard that they met on the ship.
Thank you for the sites Di I will have to settle down and trawl through them - I hope they weren't in steerage or I'll never find them.
:eek::eek: Julie