PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson Road East Barnet

Allthosegenes
24-10-10, 09:05
I am following up a discovery that some more distant relatives of mine were living at Ferguson Road East Barnet on the 1911 census. I have been unable to locate this road, and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of it? It may be that it has been renamed over time.

Anne in North London
24-10-10, 09:10
Allthosegenes, I found this on Google

"Mr Sadler was born in Ferguson Road, East Barnet, now called Ellerbeck Road, one of nine children"

from this link

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/topstories/4762802.Sister_waits_nearly_70_years_to_see_brothe r_listed_on_war_memorial/

Hope it helps
Anne

Edit : I can't see it on Google maps though

Muggins in Sussex
24-10-10, 10:49
I Googled and found a link to a page on this site! :d http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2102

Not sure whether Barnet is the same as East Barnet, though :confused:

Anne in North London
24-10-10, 11:32
Joan, it will be the same, they're next to each other.

Highly likely to have a postcode today of EN4 or EN5.

Allthosegenes
24-10-10, 11:50
Anne and Joan: many thanks for your comments. In fact, it was the link to the post by samesizedfeet which led me to join the forum! I have also looked for an Ellerbeck Road in my AZ Atlas of Greater London. Alas, no sign of it again. Interestingly, the local paper report is just about a year old so I'll try to email the publication and see if anyone there can throw any light on it. A renaming of the road seems the likeliest explanation.

ElizabethHerts
24-10-10, 11:58
Welcome to GF, Alex! Everyone is really friendly here, and I hope you enjoy it.

Allthosegenes
24-10-10, 12:08
Many thanks for the welcome and your kind suggestions Elizabeth. I have now emailed the author of the original newspaper article referred to above. :):)

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
24-10-10, 14:13
I know this is not quite what you are looking for but there is a Ferguson Road, in Barnet, USA

Olde Crone
24-10-10, 14:55
Not sure if it is possible to trawl backwards and forwards on the 1911, but if you can, that might lead you to other roads which may be more identifiable.

I lived in Friern Barnet and a great deal of that was demolished and rebuilt in the 1970s, with obviously, the old road names disappearing and new ones taking their place, but the main roads kept their original names.

OC

Allthosegenes
24-10-10, 15:17
Thanks for that OC; I'll certainly give that one a try. 1970s redevelopment would make a lot of sense in terms of names disappearing.

samesizedfeet
24-10-10, 20:13
Most of Ferguson Road was knocked down to make way for a shopping centre. On some maps there is a very small part of it left but, having visited the area a few years back to look at my ancestors houses there are only about 3 buildings there ( I can't even remember now if they are offices or flats etc. I was so disappointed it was gone)

I shall try and find it on google maps for you so you can see what I mean

samesizedfeet
24-10-10, 20:23
OKay - I'm wrong. Bruce Road was partially knocked down for the shopping centre but, given that my family lived in the streets around that area it wouldn't surprise me if Ferguson Road has been completely obliterated by Squires.

Mu great grandfather was there in 1912 when he married but I"m afraid he wasn't there in 1911 as he was in Manchester so I can't even offer assistance on finding the road.

samesizedfeet
24-10-10, 20:29
It's on 1911 as Fergusson Road!!

DO you have a house number?

A first glance it doesn't look to be complete. Schedule numbers run from 37-76 but there are only 25 returns from 14 buildings.

Allthosegenes
24-10-10, 21:58
Hey Zoe
Many thanks for the posts, and the updates. You are right; a further look at the 1911 census return shows my family members as living at 34 Fergusson Road (with a double S). It is very interesting what you have to say about the local redevelopment. Maybe your great grandfather and my great great aunt and uncle were neighbours then?!

Regards
Alex

samesizedfeet
24-10-10, 22:31
Hi Alex,

I've had a look at the enumerators books and from the roads done in the same batch as Ferguson Road in 1911 it appears it's more likely to be around the bottom end of East Barnet Road and Jackson Road

Which is on googlemaps: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=%22east+barnet+road%22&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=E+Barnet+Rd,+Barnet,+Hertfordshire+EN4&gl=uk&ei=1LPETM2yFcWOjAeBqOG4BQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA

Merry
25-10-10, 08:24
It's on 1911 as Fergusson Road!!

DO you have a house number?

A first glance it doesn't look to be complete. Schedule numbers run from 37-76 but there are only 25 returns from 14 buildings.

I haven't counted, but some of it is listed as Furgusson Road and some as Fergusson Road in 1911.

Allthosegenes
25-10-10, 11:22
My g g uncle listed it as 'Fergusson Road' on the census return. Thanks for the link to the map. Being unfamiliar with the area, is it a part of East Barnet which has been redeveloped since that time?

samesizedfeet
25-10-10, 14:25
Old Crone may have a better idea about the redevelopment there - but the houses on Jackson Road definitely look victorian.

I wish I knew where my Godfrey's Map of Barnet in 1880s was as I'm pretty sure we'd be able to pinpoint Ferguson Road on there

samesizedfeet
25-10-10, 14:54
FOUND IT!!!! used http://www.old-maps.co.uk ;)

It's the road that is now Welbeck Road

Allthosegenes
25-10-10, 15:27
Zoe, you are such a *star*! The article referred to an Ellerbeck Road. Welbeck it is then. Now I know. Seems to have been just a job of renaming it. Also, that little map site seems really good. Thanks so much; mystery solved! :):):)