PDA

View Full Version : Problem 2 - who is Wm Maynard?

Merry
21-10-10, 18:18
BK6 updated from this thread

I've seen this marriage on the FS pilot site:

Groom's Name: William Maynard
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Maria Elizabeth Harris
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 12 Dec 1852
Marriage Place: All Saints,Kempston,Bedford,England
Groom's Father's Name: William Maynard
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name: John Harris
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00505-4
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 1279134
Reference Number:
Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

but I can't work out who the people are!

Any ideas?

kiterunner
21-10-10, 18:45
They also have a William Maynard age 50, son of William Maynard, marrying Ann Pratt age 48 on 1st Dec 1856 at the same church. (Her father's name William Jeffs). It doesn't give their previous marital statuses.

kiterunner
21-10-10, 18:52
So, there is a William Maynard age 50 at Kempston on the 1851 census, ag lab, widower with daughter Eliza 9 (a lacemaker) and son Charles 7, all born Kempston, with a Joel Maynard age 25 and family in the next household but one. Off to look for them in 1861...

Merry
21-10-10, 19:01
I know about that one! He is a bit difficult too and I did wonder if it was the same man.....

I have William Maynard bap 1803 the son of Wm and Elizabeth

Next I have a bap of a child of William and Mary in 1831 named Caroline

Can't find Wm or Mary or Caroline in 1841.

Next I have another bap of a child for Wm and Mary (probably not the same couple with such a huge gap, unless she was not a baby) in 1846 named Sarah Ann. I don't see a birth reg for this child so maybe she was older?

Anyway, in 1851 I found Wm, a widower with two children inder 10 (no baps) and his dau Caroline living nextdoor with her aunt (haven't worked that out yet either!). Sarah Ann is not obvious!

Then in 1856 Wm married Ann Pratt formerly Jeffs and they are together in 1861.

Might he have squeezed another wife into the gap? It would certainly tidy things up a bit, but the only bride I can find was b in 1830 and I don't know if she is the one as I can't find her in 1841 when she might be with her father to match the names up.

Merry
21-10-10, 19:03
So, there is a William Maynard age 50 at Kempston on the 1851 census, ag lab, widower with daughter Eliza 9 (a lacemaker) and son Charles 7, all born Kempston, with a Joel Maynard age 25 and family in the next household but one. Off to look for them in 1861...

Whoops, we cross posted.

That's the one I'm trying to make this marriage work for, but if it was him, where did wife 2 go? Under the patio??!

Joel is his nephew (son of elder bro John)

kiterunner
21-10-10, 19:15
I think it's probably him, but I can't see a death for Maria.

Merry
21-10-10, 19:22
I'm thinking this is the burial of the first wife:

26 Feb 1850 Mary MAYNARD 48 Beds Kempston, All Saints

Maybe Maria was called Mary as well?

Merry
21-10-10, 19:25
Or maybe she was known as Elizabeth?

Deaths Mar 1853
Maynard Elizabeth Bedford 3b 225

Annoyingly that death is one year after the NBI coverage (version 2) so I can't see how old she was!

HarrysMum
21-10-10, 20:34
Have you killed off William's mother, Elizabeth??

There's a 78 year old Elizabeth Maynard in 1851 with George and Sarah Corner/Carner, if she belongs to you.

Can't find any others in 1851, except Eliza who Kite found.

HarrysMum
21-10-10, 20:37
The Joel Maynard in 1851 has a 9 year old Eliza as well, but she is listed as "wife's daughter", but the image looks more like Olivia (surname...Watts)

Merry
21-10-10, 22:47
Have you killed off William's mother, Elizabeth??

There's a 78 year old Elizabeth Maynard in 1851 with George and Sarah Corner/Carner, if she belongs to you.

Can't find any others in 1851, except Eliza who Kite found.

I think Sarah Garner is probably William's (1803) sister - she's not baptised unfortunately, but after her husband George died she remarried and said her father was William Maynard. She was also a witness at the marriage of another brother so that's a bit of circumstantial evidence!!

I'll have a look at the Joel Maynard thing tomorrow - thanks!