PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Gray

Ammanda Schutz
20-10-10, 02:07
Name: Thomas Gray
Middle name: possibly Henry but listed as Thomas J Gray the death certificate of his son.
Date and Place of Birth: C1817 Lancaster, England
Parents: Unknown
Date and Place of Baptism: Unknown
Marriage: 1838 Manchester England
Address where lived: Unknown
Date, place and cause of death: Possible death in 1872 at Sydney, NSW
Burial: Unknown
Details of Will: Unknown
Memorial Inscription: Unknown
Note: Arrived at Sydney, NSW on the 'Heber' 27/7/1839
Bounty passenger with his wife Catharine nee Dillon. She was from Liverpool according to the Bounty Passenger Records.

kiterunner
20-10-10, 07:29
Sorry, Ammanda, it's mother's father's father's mother this week! Would you like me to move this thread onto the Research Questions board if you want some help tracing him?

kiterunner
20-10-10, 07:31
The marriage was at St Mary's Church, Prestwich, no middle name listed for Thomas on the index. If you order a copy of the marriage certificate it should tell you the name of Thomas's father.

ElizabethHerts
20-10-10, 07:35
I found the marriage on UKBMD:

Forename(s) Spouse's Surname GRAY Thomas
Spouse's Forename(s) DILLON Catherine
Year 1838
Church / Register Office Prestwich, St.Mary
Registers At Bury Lancashire
Region Reference Order On-line
CE18/2/186

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/marriages.php

You can order the marriage certificate from them or direct from the GRO.

This will give you Thomas's father and occupation and Catherine's father and occupation.

ElizabethHerts
20-10-10, 07:36
Snap, KiteRunner.

ElizabethHerts
20-10-10, 07:40
The GRO ref. is
Manchester 20 602
4th qr 1838 (Sept - Dec)

tenterfieldjulie
20-10-10, 08:45
I'm so excited I've just got home from Brisbane dead tired and so I won't answer tonight but Thomas Gray compositor was my late husband's ggg grandfather and I have the Aus. info for Elizabeth. Her information fills in my blanks. Absolutely wonderful I will fill in the details tomorrow:D:D:D Julie

tenterfieldjulie
20-10-10, 08:59
I couldn't go to be without digging out my files.
Death Cert. No. 879 Sydney - 1856 aged 48 years. I will pm you. Julie

HarrysMum
20-10-10, 09:46
I'm so excited I've just got home from Brisbane dead tired and so I won't answer tonight but Thomas Gray compositor was my late husband's ggg grandfather and I have the Aus. info for Elizabeth. Her information fills in my blanks. Absolutely wonderful I will fill in the details tomorrow:D:D:D Julie

Told you this place was worth joining......lol

ElizabethHerts
20-10-10, 10:51

Julie, it's Ammanda's thread so pm her! :) I think I know what you were saying.

tenterfieldjulie
20-10-10, 20:56
Hi Elizabeth,
Yes after I came down to earth I realised it was Ammanda's thread and I sent a pm to her.
Hi Libby, Yes you are right - oh dear I owe you big time - such a shame you don't drink red wine or eat chocs :d:d
Did I tell you I've found a living Inman for Mary? Julie

HarrysMum
20-10-10, 21:01
Hi Elizabeth,
Yes after I came down to earth I realised it was Ammanda's thread and I sent a pm to her.
Hi Libby, Yes you are right - oh dear I owe you big time - such a shame you don't drink red wine or eat chocs :d:d
Did I tell you I've found a living Inman for Mary? Julie

No....you didn't. I knew there were some around, but we couldn't connect them. Do you want to find me a living Mepham/Meffin/Meppin?

Or any living Caves connected to mine.......

Sometimes I wish we had records like UKs intead of our privacy laws.....

****** I thought I did eat chocs******

Ammanda Schutz
21-10-10, 01:50
Just got back to the computer and being that I am in a different time zone I have missed all the fun so far.
I am sorry, Kiterunner. I guess I really don't understand the way things work. Please do move this thread to the proper place.
On the other hand, I can say that I am thrilled, thrilled by the help everyone has given.
What a wonderful site this is, to be sure.
Tenterfieldjulie, I look forward to communicating with you directly. Ammanda

tenterfieldjulie
21-10-10, 10:58
I'm quite amazed about having Peter's ancestors the Grays married at St. Mary's in 1838 as I have a marriage of my ancestors the Pugsons there in 1848. :D When we looking on Ancestry about the marriage of my Wares at St. Sepulchre at Holborn someone had entered it as church/shop. Is it possible that St. Mary's at Prestwich could be the same? Or is it just coincidence?
Also when I was in Manchester I went to the city library & I was able to print a copy of the 1848 marriage from the church register off the microfilm in the family history section. It gave me the grooms occupation, where the bride and groom lived, the father's names and their occupations. Is this the same information as you would get from a marriage certificate? (In Australia the early marriage registers had far more information than the certificates.)
I have sent Ammanda the information that I have.
I thought you might be interested that, in order to get the correct death certificate, I supplied the Registrar of BDMs in 2000 with multiple choices and listed ten Thomas Gray's deaths in NSW with their Index Nos. and gave all the relevant information I had. Where I was lucky was that he was a compositor. Although he died in an infirmary and there was very little information on the death cert the informant was another compositor and so it gave his occupation and that he had a daughter Mary Jane which he did. The new info it gave was his date and cause of death and where he was buried. Looking forward to hearing from Ammanda. Many many thanks everyone. :D:D J

tenterfieldjulie
21-10-10, 11:05
Hi Lib,
Do you like light or dark chocolates?
Mary Ariel 1/2 page would be great.
Do you know Phyllis Mepham? :d Now where did she get to? Will check!
For Mary's Inmans - Noel has found an old lady he has known for years - deaf as a beetle he says - great character - who has old photos of Inmans. Beryl's mother was an Inman. Also there has just been a family reunion in Tamworth and another man he knows has contacts he can find, if Mary wants them. I've sent Mary a 7 page attachment from Noel. I'm sure there will be lots more to come. Julie