PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is really bored........

HarrysMum
16-10-10, 21:43
A friend has asked about her tree.

She has next to no info, even about her parents, so I've suggested she buy her own birth cert. Money is extremely tight for her so I might get it for her birthday, but it's an Australian cert so will take ages.

What she does know is that her grandmother was Daffodil Hughes born in England.

I've found a Daffodil Agnes M Hughes born Mar 1893 Wandsworth. That would fit the timeframe.

My friend 'thinks' she came here as an adult, but I haven't found that. I can't find her at all in 1901.

If anyone wants to have another look I'd be grateful. At that age, she should be with her parents (who I don't know at all). They could be even dead by then.

I know it's a big ask, but without any certs and working backwards with a generation gap isn't good, but thought I'd see what I could find.

Nothing but a birth.......lol

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 21:54
How about this in 1901?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7814&iid=LNDRG13_467_469-0098&fn=Daffodil+A&ln=Hughes&st=d&ssrc=&pid=21237216

Merry
16-10-10, 21:54
She is on the 1901; Ancestry have her as 8 months, but the months belongs to the child under her! lol

Father is a journalist, which sounds more interesting than many!

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 21:55
Can't find them in 1911 though

HarrysMum
16-10-10, 21:59
Ta..................Maragert......that link won't work for me as i have Aussie Ancestry (don't ask..they just don't work)..lol

Could you tell me what you put in the search please, as I tried this for about an hour last night and I found zip....

Merry
16-10-10, 22:03
I put Daff* Hughes.

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:05
RG13; Piece: 467; Folio: 49; Page: 31

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:07
I can't find the parents in 1891. I think I may have found the eldest Reginald though.

RG12; Piece: 903; Folio 40; Page 26

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:08
Is this the parents marriage?

from FreeBMD

Francis George Hughes and Alice Bell

Wandsworth 1d 1012

Jun qtr 1888

Merry
16-10-10, 22:11
I'm sure it is Marg as there's a female Bell with them in 1901 down as son-in-law! lol

Francis is Frank in 1891 - patent agent. In 1871 he was b Turnham Green rather than Chiswick and his father was also a patent agent. (parents are Edward and Theresa)

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:12
oh I'm out of practice. LOL

Merry
16-10-10, 22:13
Oooh, a link alongside Francis George's birth reg:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=33419029&d=bmd_1286274134

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:14
Oooh, a link alongside Francis George's birth reg:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=33419029&d=bmd_1286274134

oooh brilliant and recent too::)

Merry
16-10-10, 22:16
What shall we do now, Marg??!!!

HarrysMum
16-10-10, 22:18
Let me catch up.....lol

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:20
What shall we do now, Marg??!!!

I suppose I ought to go to bed I'm still convalescing you know! :)

Margaret in Burton
16-10-10, 22:22
We need to find out when they went to Australia don't we?

HarrysMum
16-10-10, 22:30
We need to find out when they went to Australia don't we?

Yes please.........but on no account stay up for me.....you rest now, you've done enough.

HarrysMum
16-10-10, 22:32
I tell you Daff was NOT there last night, now she's top of the list....

My friend, Ann, will be so pleased. She's always wanted to be a writer.........lol

Merry
16-10-10, 22:37
lol Marg, I'm off to bed shortly too!

now she's top of the list....

You cope with Ancestry's New Search whatsit? A brave woman. The way I search there was only one match to look at!

kiterunner
16-10-10, 22:47
I can't see a death for a Daffodil with father Francis on ancestry's Australian death index.

Mary from Italy
16-10-10, 23:40
There's no Daffodil Hughes in the Aus electoral rolls, and no Daffodil Agnes with any surname.

HarrysMum
16-10-10, 23:52
Sorry...had to go out for a little while. Daff was not known as Daff....lol.

I've only ever heard her referred to as Muzzy...........no idea???? I'm off to see if friend is home yet.

Thank you again.

Mary from Italy
16-10-10, 23:56
She was Daffodil Agnes M, but I can't imagine what the M might be that was abbreviated to Muzzy. Muriel?

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 00:00
Just checked the LMA baptisms, but I can't see a Hughes with parents Fran* and Alice in the right time frame.

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 00:14
Here are Frank and Alice with Phylis in 1891; Frank is a patent agent:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=6598&iid=LNDRG12_443_446-0196&fn=Phylis+M&ln=Hughes&st=d&ssrc=&pid=7256581

Class: RG12; Piece: 444; Folio 60; Page 37

Libby, you can use ancestry.co.uk links - you just have to sign in with your ancestry.com.au password.

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 00:35
Reginald enlisted in the Canadian Army in 1915, and was killed later that year. His father was still alive and living in Clapham when he enlisted. He doesn't appear to be in the Canadian home children database.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=aeofa3autrusrbp9d38ls8qcf1&q1=hughes&q2=reginald+ingress&q3=&interval=20

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.009-e.html

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=199996

http://wwii.ca/memorial/world-war-i/50155/private-reginald-ingress-hughes/

According to the enlistment form he was RC, which explains why I couldn't find their baptisms in the London C of E or Non-con databases.

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 00:37
Thanks Mary.

Just spoken to Ann........Daffodil hated her name so her children changed it ...lol....nothing official.

Daffodil said she came to Australia as a young child and was an only child until her brother was born here.....
Odd............as the 1893 birth I found is the only Daffodil Hughes in UK for anywhere near that time frame. Also odd is that I cannot find any brother for Daff born here unless it was after 1909.

Ann is now trying to sort through and get what she needs.......this is all new to her, although she has been wondering why her family would tell her nothing of their origins??????

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 00:38
We overlapped Mary................I'm a slow typer. Ann is a Catholic so that may well fit... the rest doesn't........lol

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 00:46
Maybe a silly question, but was Hughes Daffodil's maiden name? Do you know her brother's name and age?

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 00:59
As far as I know Hughes was her maiden name.

Her brother was apparently Bruce, although nobody ever sighted him, so whether he died young or just wasn't talked about.??

Family research of any kind was completely frowned upon so who knows what was happening?????? lol

Seems odd though that I found that Daffodil born 1893 if it's not the right one....can't find any others. Also seems odd if she, whoever she was......took the name Daffodil when she said she hated it.

The only thing I can't quite work out is...................Daffodil/Muzzy sais she never knew her birthday. She said the records were lost in the blitz. And..................she did die only a few years ago, although it could have been 10 years so I suppose that would be fine as that would have made her late 90s when she died.

I'm now hooked so looking everywhere for any connection. I have emailed that pesron with the message on FreeBMD.......will let you all know.

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 01:03
The only thing I can't quite work out is...................Daffodil/Muzzy sais she never knew her birthday. She said the records were lost in the blitz.

The Blitz was in WW2, though. I wonder if she was an orphan, born in the workhouse, or something?

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 01:22
No idea, Mary. Will have to wait and see if Ann can get anything from her stepmother.

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 02:37
I can't see a marriage or death for the 1893 Daffodil, which does suggest that she might have emigrated.

Merry
17-10-10, 08:03
Barbara C Hughes (1mth in 1901) seems never to have been born!

There are possible deaths for Francis G and Alice in Wandsworth (1931 and 1946)

I still can't find any of them in 1911. Did they leave the country and return, but without all their children?

Do we know who your friend's Daffodil was supposed to have married?

Olde Crone
17-10-10, 08:36
When were Daffodil's children born, as that would help to fix Daffodil's age.

The Blitz story is an obfuscation! Many records were destroyed indeed...but the GRO had hidden a full set of duplicate records which were not damaged at all.

OC

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 08:40
Merry............Daffodil's story (as told by her to her family when they asked)

She was born in England, came to Australia as a baby and as an only child until her brother was born here. She never knew her birthday as the records were lost in the blitz.
Now as Mary said, and we all know, the blitz was WW2 so she must have had some idea of her birthday without needing an official record many years later???

I can find no record of her family coming here or of her brother's birth. I can't find any marriage for her either, although I don't know who she married ....lol.....there are no Daffodil marriages in NSW. It was supposed to be in Sydney.

Maybe it is a different family altogether, but my gut instinct is that it is this family. I wondered if Daff got herself into a spot of bother and took the bolt out here by herself. There are a few "Miss Hughes" coming here.

I notice the eldest child, Reginald, is with other family members (Bells) in 1891. Can't yet find his parents.

I think we are going to have to get Ann's parents' marriage cert and start from scratch......

Where have I heard that before???? lol

Olde Crone
17-10-10, 08:58
Yes, I was wondering if Daffodil was daughter of Daffodil (or Barbara).

OC

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 09:03
No idea OC.................the dates work out OK, although another generation could easily fit in there.

I can't find any reg for Barbara. There is a possible marriage for Phyllis to Stanley Holliday. Ducked over to GR in the hope somebody had them......no.

Not much point at this stage of buying 1893 Daff's birth cert as we can't connect them to Ann yet. Will have to work back.

Don't you love these families that like to hide stuff.......lol

ElizabethHerts
17-10-10, 09:06
I searched for "F. G. Hughes" and "patent agent" and I got this hit:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3066721

I'm having trouble trying to view the correct part of the page, though!

ElizabethHerts
17-10-10, 09:09
No, it looks like a red herring, sorry!

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 09:23
Elizabeth...................can I put another spanner in the works?????? lol

On the birth of a Francis George Hughes on FreeBMD, there is a post about his brother, Vincent (I have sent an email).

I looked at 1871 census for Vincent and Francis Hughes and they are at home with their family................Their father Edward is a ..............PATENT AGENT!!!

Might be nothing?????????

ElizabethHerts
17-10-10, 09:32
Here they are in 1911

HUGHER, Francis George Head Married M 49 1862 Consulting Engineer General Turnham Green W
HUGHER, Alice Wife Married 23 years F 49 1862 Chelsea S W
HUGHER, Phyllis Daughter Single F 20 1891 Insurance Clerk Clapham S W
HUGHER, Daffodil F 18 1893 Student
HUGHER, Barbara F 10 1901 Student
HUGHER, Audrey F 8 1903

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
2277 Reference:
RG14PN2277 RG78PN77 RD26 SD4 ED27 SN87

Registration District:
Wandsworth Sub District:
Clapham Enumeration District:
27 Parish:
Wandsworth Borough

Address:
26 Deauville Mansions Clapham S W County:
London

ElizabethHerts
17-10-10, 10:02
I can't find a birth record for Audrey Hughes, born c. 1903.
There is one for Magdalen Hughes in 1906 in Wandsworth - Magdalen was Phyllis' second name.

Olde Crone
17-10-10, 10:15
Scenario:

The Hughes family go to Australia sometime round about 1901-1904, where they make a few friends, but they don't like it so they come home again.

Later, one of the daughters (Daffodil ?) gets into bother and their Priest arranges for her to go to a Catholic M + B Home in Australia, or possibly to stay with friends.

Prove it, OC, I can hear you say.

OC

Merry
17-10-10, 10:20
lol OC!

Well done, Elizabeth for finding them in 1911. My very first search was for anyone with first name Daffodil and I got no matches, so I guess I spelled it wrong?!! :o

Elizabeth...................can I put another spanner in the works?????? lol

On the birth of a Francis George Hughes on FreeBMD, there is a post about his brother, Vincent (I have sent an email).

I looked at 1871 census for Vincent and Francis Hughes and they are at home with their family................Their father Edward is a ..............PATENT AGENT!!!

Might be nothing?????????

Erm, see post #10 on this thread - we already knew that! lol

Margaret in Burton
17-10-10, 11:16
bl**dy hell, you've moved on from last night.

Is the Daffodil in 1901 with parents Francis and Alice the right one or not? I've got lost. :confused::confused:

Not really awake, had a bad night was still awake at 6.30 this morning.

ElizabethHerts
17-10-10, 11:23
Sorry you had a bad night, Marg. It makes you feel so rotten. I hope you can relax today and have a little nap later on.

I have found a Daffodil birth which caught my eye:

Daffodil D E name removed Mother's maiden name: Hughes
Mar qr 1939 Portsmouth 2b 693

Probably totally unrelated but I thought I'd throw it into the mix!

ElizabethHerts
17-10-10, 11:24
Ok, marriage found:
Sep qr 1936
name removed Alec H Hughes Gosport 2b 1867
Hughes Bridget E L E name removed Gosport 2b 1867

There wasn't a Bridget in the family, was there?

Merry
17-10-10, 12:46
Blimey!

That Magdalen Hughes birth reg probably belongs to 1911 girl Magdala Hughes living in Wandsworth district. I've not looked at her family though.

Lunch calls!

Mary from Italy
17-10-10, 19:07
According to the free search, Magdala seems to be the daughter of a Thomas Edward Lewis Hughes and his wife Margaret

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 21:51
Morning all~~~~~~~~

After spending quite a bit of time on the phone to Ann last night......and Ann also spending abit of time trying to sort it all out with what few rellies she has....

Old friend of family (known as Aunty, but not saying if she's related or not....don't you love some old dears....ggrrrr!!) tells Ann...................Daffodil wasn't your grandmother. Your grandmother was Vera. Vera who????? "Oh dear..I can't remember her maiden name at all."

So off to look for marriage of Vera to Ann's grandfather. Nothing.

Old lady......."No, no you won't find that...they never married".

So who is Daffodil???? Old dear has no idea......

Now somewhere a Daffodil Hughes comes into it, but I'm sorry I ever offered.......and even sorrier I asked you lot........

I think we need to start from Ann's birth cert and work back........the way we should have to start with............lol

Interesting family, though........lol

tenterfieldjulie
17-10-10, 21:59
Sorting me out should make for a relaxing afternoon after all that Lib. :d:d

HarrysMum
17-10-10, 22:02
Yep Julie I'm sure it will, though I have left a little gem for you......lol

Mary from Italy
18-10-10, 02:10
Aaggh! Should be interesting when her birth cert arrives, though.

Merry
18-10-10, 05:55
lol!! When is the cert due? *books holiday*

HarrysMum
18-10-10, 06:43
It's Australian........................I'd give it at least 6 weeks.....

Don't worry.....I won't show my face here unless it's something true this time.....lol

Mary from Italy
18-10-10, 10:03
It would have been quicker to get a transcription, but I suppose she wanted a proper cert.

HarrysMum
18-10-10, 20:54
Mary.....her birth was in Qld.....no transcriptions....and 6 weeks would be very fast!!!

Olde Crone
18-10-10, 21:03
Libby

Sorry, but I just have to larf!! This is what comes of helping friends.

After much fruitless searching, by me, for someone with a very common surname, MY friend casually drops into the conversation that she has his birth cert.....more searching by me and I discover he was possibly in the Navy,....yes, I know, she said....I try to explain the impossibility of finding a marriage for a very common name when no one knows if any marriage took place anyway and to prove my point I show her the 400+ marriages which come up for that name...Well, she said, he definitely wouldn't have got married in Leeds for a start. How do you know, said I. Well, why would he get married in Leeds, she said.

I've given up and the last I heard was that she was going to employ a "professional researcher".

OC

HarrysMum
19-10-10, 00:39
OC...........if you can get 'dragged in', I feel better.......lol

Bit like when my step-father asked me to find his Uncle Pat and Uncle Mick....

After ages, I worked out Pat was Julian and Mick was John.

"I could have told you that much" says Dad..............lol

Gert in Oz
19-10-10, 01:40
OC...........if you can get 'dragged in', I feel better.......lol

Bit like when my step-father asked me to find his Uncle Pat and Uncle Mick....

After ages, I worked out Pat was Julian and Mick was John.

"I could have told you that much" says Dad..............lol

A bit like the man i always knew as Uncle Mick, only to find he was Isaac, when i started researching.

tenterfieldjulie
19-10-10, 02:26
You should have blown your own trumpet OC and said often so-called Professional Researchers will charge big fees and then tell you what I've said.
From my observation the forum gives sound advice and excellent results all for free. Some people don't understand that enthusiasm and experience in research is half the battle, as you know you often you have to keep plugging away. When someone who knows the ins and outs and are so happy to help, it is so encouraging to a beginner. It's just as well you all have a great sense of humour though :d

JBee
19-10-10, 08:00
I fell foul of the golden rule - check every stage of your research.

Paddy's father was Patrick - no he wasn't he was Francis!!!! - many certificates and hours of research down the drain following a Patrick.

HarrysMum
19-10-10, 09:35
I fell foul of the golden rule - check every stage of your research.

Paddy's father was Patrick - no he wasn't he was Francis!!!! - many certificates and hours of research down the drain following a Patrick.

Bet he was an Irishman like my Pat and Mick......lol

JBee
19-10-10, 18:03
Oh yes - still don't know where from though!!!!