PDA

View Full Version : Suffolk RO Lookups -Kiterunner

Oakum Picker
15-10-10, 19:46
Am off to Lowestoft on Tuesday Kate - any follow up on the STEARNEs? Anybody else welcome too although I can't promise all if there are a lot as this is not a research trip so only manage about an hour a day in the RO. Add to my thread on 'Help Offered'.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 22:10
Oh, thanks very much for the offer, Glen. But you've given me loads on them already! Since you've offered, though, if you do have time, could you possibly double-check that none of the Martin Stearnes of Lavenham left wills, please? I don't know whether the record office staff would have checked all the variations of surname, Stern, Starne, and so on?

Oakum Picker
15-10-10, 22:43
I think that info. is only available at Ipswich but I'll check.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 22:53
Thanks, Glen.

Oakum Picker
21-10-10, 20:08
Sorry Kate, for some reason unknown even to myself, I looked up wills from the 17th rather than the 18th century. If I manage to get in again I'll try to rectify this. There was a Martin STERNE, malster in Bury St Edmunds in 1663. If there are any, the originals will be at Bury.

kiterunner
21-10-10, 22:37
Thanks, Glen.

Oakum Picker
24-10-10, 00:19
Lowestoft doesn't have the index for Archdeaconry of Sudbury wills 1700-1799. Bury does have it as the originals are held there. I would think that Ipswich would have the Index & would have checked it when you originally asked as they would know Lavenham is in the A of S. To be doubly sure you could ask BSE to check for you.