PDA

View Full Version : Predin

kiterunner
14-10-10, 22:52
I've got another one of those situations where I've found a likely baptism for one of my ancestors and I'm trying to find something to tie that family with mine to prove the link.

George Buie, bachelor, married Elizabeth Boulton, spinster, 7 Aug 1728 at St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey, both of the parish, married by Banns. They're definitely my ancestors because their descendants kindly thought to use Bolton as a middle name several times (it was even given to one five generations later on a line who hadn't used it before!) Elizabeth was buried 11 Dec 1774 at St John Horsleydown but there is no age at death given.

So, I've found a likely baptism 10 Feb 1705 St Thomas Southwark, Elizabeth daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Bolton. The parents' marriage looks likely to be 13 Feb 1703/4 St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey, Samuel Bolton, wid, a Feltmaker in Bermondsey Street, and Elisabeth Predin spinster, both of the parish, by licence.

I've found loads of potential Bolton siblings for Elizabeth, the family names mostly match those of Elizabeth's children (with Samuel Bolton cropping up a few times in her descendants) but not managed to find anything that absolutely proves she comes from that family yet. So I thought I'd look at the Predin family and see if that would help - but there are hardly any Predins at all!

Any ideas what name Predin could be a variant of, please? I tried it on FamilySearch Record Search but it didn't come up with many.

HarrysMum
15-10-10, 00:24
Google says it's Slovenian if that's any help.

HarrysMum
15-10-10, 00:28
There's also a few Predams in Devon on the non-con lot.

HarrysMum
15-10-10, 00:33
There's a few Pridhams in London around the 1600s.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 07:22
Thanks, Libby.

Phoenix
15-10-10, 09:06
Does the licence survive?

Does it also say Predin?

My thoughts were that the name might be mangled. My Prideaux family are spelt in a huge variety of ways.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 09:13
I had a look on London Signatures but it wasn't on there.

Phoenix
15-10-10, 17:20
In which case.... I have a marriage by licence where the happy couple seem to have waved the licence before the vicar, got spliced, and were away before he could note down their full names. He remembered the groom was Jeremiah, but had no idea what the surname was:d

That was Surrey in the 1730s.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 17:24
There is a bit of a flurry of Predins in London at one point so I suppose it is the right name but I'm sure there must be other versions of it.

Phoenix
15-10-10, 17:28
Thinking about it, is it Hugenot? It has a French ring to it.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 18:49
I've just taken out a 72-hr sub to British Origins as they have quite a lot of London stuff and I have a lot of new London ancestors to look up on there, and they have her listed on Boyd's Marriage Index as Peddin. Taken from the Vicar General Marriage Licence Allegations.

kiterunner
15-10-10, 18:52
Ooh, and I've found a burial for a Mary Predin in the LMA records on ancestry, 6 Feb 1705, St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey, Mary Predin, widow, from the Fox & Goose Bermondsey Street. Samuel and Elizabeth's first daughter was called Mary, and they lived in Bermondsey Street, so that looks hopeful, doesn't it?